Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail messages disappearing

After decades of reliable use, I am tearing my hair out over Mail. It has taken to simply "disappearing" messages I receive or send, without a trace. Sometimes they show up if I search for them, other times not. I can send a message, have it acknowledged as sent, and have it vanish without a trace or record. This is true for both accounts I use: a gmail POP account, and an Outlook IMAP account. Some messages in other saved folders vanish, others stick around just fine, apparently arbitrarily. I have tried rebuilding the mailboxes (I have yet to see that do anything, and wonder if that function is actually still operational), tried deleting the envelope files from the library (more messages go! none come back!), pretty much any ideas I've been able to garner from other threads. I am at the limit of being able to use it as a Mail client if I don't figure out how to fix it. Any suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Jun 15, 2017 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2017 7:40 AM

Some addenda on this mystery:

First, if I do a search on a recipient or sender I know is on a message, I can see the messages in their respective boxes. However, if I close search on that name, the message disappears.

Second, if while I have it visible I mark it as Unread, it is of course bolded, and then it does not disappear; I can view it as it normally should be. Mark it as read, and it disappears. This occurs with only some messages in some mailboxes (I've been able to discover no rhyme, reason, or pattern for this, and it just began).

Third, I thought the problem might be the mailboxes, but I can move the messages to newly-created mailboxes and the problem moves with them. Also it infects new messages I move to that mailbox.

This is both baffling and really frustrating. Any suggestions welcome.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2017 7:40 AM in response to Mark LeBar

Some addenda on this mystery:

First, if I do a search on a recipient or sender I know is on a message, I can see the messages in their respective boxes. However, if I close search on that name, the message disappears.

Second, if while I have it visible I mark it as Unread, it is of course bolded, and then it does not disappear; I can view it as it normally should be. Mark it as read, and it disappears. This occurs with only some messages in some mailboxes (I've been able to discover no rhyme, reason, or pattern for this, and it just began).

Third, I thought the problem might be the mailboxes, but I can move the messages to newly-created mailboxes and the problem moves with them. Also it infects new messages I move to that mailbox.

This is both baffling and really frustrating. Any suggestions welcome.

Jun 15, 2017 5:38 PM in response to Mark LeBar

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer or by using the developer’s uninstall instructions. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About El Capitan also Sierra

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan. also Sierra

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Jun 16, 2017 6:22 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you. I will give that a try this weekend, though I am somewhat skeptical that it is 3rd party app interference. Still, that's why the tests are worth running. I did get my Sent folder contents back last night, (apparently rebuild just took several hours for that), and that was the biggest scare, but other folders are still not showing contents I know they have (and which can be obtained by Searching on the senders or recipients). And Inbox still does not show messages contained in its POP and IMAP subfolders, once those messages have been read (not moved or deleted), which was the original symptom I have been trying to troubleshoot. I'll try a Safe Mode boot and see what happens.

Jun 21, 2017 7:50 AM in response to Mark LeBar

Some progress. My initial problem was caused by filtering, turned on I don't know how. On the advice of an Apple tech, I turned it off, and my initial Inbox invisibility problem was solved. However, I still have mailboxes with invisible messages, messages I cannot see but can find by searching on senders and recipients, if I know them. Some I can recover by moving to the Inbox and putting in newly created mailboxes. No idea how to recover those in folders I don't have a rough idea of contents of, or why messages would be going invisible in the first place.

Jun 21, 2017 9:03 AM in response to Mark LeBar

Problem solved. It was filtering throughout. I have no idea how it got turned on, or in particular how it got turned on for some mailboxes or not others, or became the default for new folders. Nor can I find much guidance on filtering (that is, apart from the use of rules) through Mail or otherwise online. But that was the problem, and disabling it mailbox by mailbox solves the problem, in case anybody else ever runs into the issue.

Mail messages disappearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.