Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is TATSU?

I am trying to restore my old iPhone 5C, and iTunes denies me with the explanation "TATSU". The other day, I was trying to restore an iPhone 6, and I also was denied by iTunes with the same "TATSU". I had to take it to an Apple store to get it restored. I asked the Apple Genius what TATUS meant and he had no idea. Apple online says to go into your Terminal and look for "gs.apple"...I did that, but the Genius said I never should have, and Apple online should not be telling people to go into Terminal. Can someone tell me how to fix this without going into an Apple store again.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5), other computer is a PC

Posted on Jun 16, 2017 10:17 PM

9 replies

Jun 17, 2017 3:46 PM in response to feuermadchen

You said that you were able to install the latest version. So you essentially said you were trying to install a version that was not the latest. That is not possible, unless you download a hacked older version with a forged signature (and probably some pre-installed malware or spyware), or you hack the network database (hosts file) on your computer in an attempt to activate using a rogue activation server other than Apple's. Either one is hacking.

Jun 17, 2017 4:32 PM in response to feuermadchen

Apple online says to go into your Terminal and look for "gs.apple"...I did that, but the Genius said I never should have, and Apple online should not be telling people to go into Terminal.

What do you mean by Apple online? Do you mean a chat support session? Here?

I don't believe Apple provides any online and interactive support service that would advocate a terminal command to address this issue.

As mentioned, gs.apple is a server reference that is commonly "modified" to allow alternate versions of iOS to be installed. You will never find Apple supporting that.

What is TATSU?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.