Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are my Garageband files?

I have checked all of the places it could be, but I can't find my garageband files, I look at my storage and It says that I have 36GB of Garage band Instruments and lessons

GarageBand 10, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Jun 18, 2017 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2017 8:06 AM

Is there a Logic folder in Application Support?

GarageBand is sharing the Instruments with Logic and MainStage.

If you cannot find the instruments in the system wide library at the top level of the system drive, check the hidden Library in your Home folder:

The user Library is hidden by default and may still be hidden.

To reveal the hidden User Library:

• Bring the Finder forward by clicking on the Desktop or the Finder icon in the Dock.
  • Select your user/home folder (with the house icon in the Finder sidebar)
  • With that Finder window as the front window, press the key combination ⌘J to bring up the View options.
  • In the View options panel enable ’Show Library Folder’. That will make your user library folder visible in your Home folder, if it is still hidden.
  • Open your Home folder, then the Library folder, look for the sub folders mentioned above ~/Library/Application Support/

Check also for the Loops in ~/Library/Audio

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2017 8:06 AM in response to marcusthesharkus27

Is there a Logic folder in Application Support?

GarageBand is sharing the Instruments with Logic and MainStage.

If you cannot find the instruments in the system wide library at the top level of the system drive, check the hidden Library in your Home folder:

The user Library is hidden by default and may still be hidden.

To reveal the hidden User Library:

• Bring the Finder forward by clicking on the Desktop or the Finder icon in the Dock.
  • Select your user/home folder (with the house icon in the Finder sidebar)
  • With that Finder window as the front window, press the key combination ⌘J to bring up the View options.
  • In the View options panel enable ’Show Library Folder’. That will make your user library folder visible in your Home folder, if it is still hidden.
  • Open your Home folder, then the Library folder, look for the sub folders mentioned above ~/Library/Application Support/

Check also for the Loops in ~/Library/Audio

Jun 18, 2017 8:00 AM in response to marcusthesharkus27

The Instruments and lessons should in the following folders

• For the instruments: /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/
  • For the lessons: /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Learn to Play/

So look into the library folder at the top level of your system drive, then the subfolder "Application Support" and then the subfolder "GarageBand". Are there any files installed?

If you installed GarageBand only for you and not for other users, these files might be in the local Library folder in your Home folder.

~/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/

~/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Learn to Play/

Where are my Garageband files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.