Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i lengthen the fade to black on the end of a video clip imovie 10.1.6??

iMac w/Sierra 10.12.5, 16GB Ram, 2TB Fusion

When I try to change the duration of a fade to black transition on the end of a video clip from the default 1.0 seconds to anything longer, message says, "The clips do not have enough media available to change the length of this transition." There is only one clip in the project and it's over 4 minutes long!

***?

iMovie '11, macOS Sierra (10.12.5), 16GB Ram, 2TB Fusion

Posted on Jun 18, 2017 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2017 5:46 AM

No offense, but the answers given are 'stupid developer' answers. If I want a transition 4 seconds, the code should 'infringe' 2 seconds into the previous clip and 2 seconds into the next clip to provide it for me. THIS IS THE PURPOSE OF SOFTWARE ! Not tell the user to provide a bigger 'handle' for the transitions. Dumb, dumb answer for software DEFECT. I have been a developer for > 25 years, from assembly language and device drivers to high level applications. It's a code defect IMHO.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2017 5:46 AM in response to gajetjock

No offense, but the answers given are 'stupid developer' answers. If I want a transition 4 seconds, the code should 'infringe' 2 seconds into the previous clip and 2 seconds into the next clip to provide it for me. THIS IS THE PURPOSE OF SOFTWARE ! Not tell the user to provide a bigger 'handle' for the transitions. Dumb, dumb answer for software DEFECT. I have been a developer for > 25 years, from assembly language and device drivers to high level applications. It's a code defect IMHO.

Jun 18, 2017 3:08 PM in response to gajetjock

iMovie needs media from the end of the clip in order to construct the transition. This is called a handle. You have added the entire clip to the timeline so there is no handle. When you add the fade to black transition iMovie will automatically take 0.5 sec of the end of the clip to make the transition. It will not let you lengthen the transition until you trim the clip back to provide additional handle. Easy way to do this is highlight the clip and trim it back the number of seconds you need for the length of transition you desire. You can also select the transitionnnad right click on it and select to open precision editor. In the oval that you will see click and drag the left caret to lengthen the transition to what you require. You can close the precision editor using the button on the top left side of the timeline window.

Jun 18, 2017 2:24 PM in response to gajetjock

Hi,

Trim back the clip a little, and then add the transition. Transitions hook on the the residual piece of video that remains (although unseen) when you trim back a clip. If there is no residual there you will get the "not enough media available" message. There is nothing for the transition to hook on to. So you need to create the residual by trimming back the clip as much as necessary to support the time duration that you want for the transition.

-- Rich

how do i lengthen the fade to black on the end of a video clip imovie 10.1.6??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.