Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete Four Virus from iPhone?

User uploaded fileSince yesterday this message keeps popping up in Safari (I have an iPhone 6). Following advice on the internet, I cleared all "History and Website Data" in Settings/Safari but this didn't solve the problem. I also tried shutting down the iPhone and restart. But this didn't stop the popup, either. I finally reset the iPhone from an earlier backup, but after a few minutes the virus appeared again. It happens at random websites I visit. Currently, it is happening every time I open the Guardian homepage (www.guardian.co.uk) and scroll down, but I'm sure if I clear my browsing data, the Guardian will be fine again and after a few minutes the popup will appear at another website.

Does anyone have an idea how to get rid of the virus?

Posted on Jun 18, 2017 8:08 PM

5 replies

Jun 18, 2017 8:23 PM in response to Avatar1234567

There is no virus on your phone. It is just a scam ad, a pop-up on the website.

Now you say that when you go to the Guardian, this happens? But the site you are showing in the screen grab is not the Guardian. So what is happening is that when you visit the Guardian there is something there that is redirecting you to this scam site. Whatever it is, it is not on your phone.

It could be something on the Guardian site doing it. Perhaps their site has been compromised. Or, it could be on your router or your ISP's equipment. Are you using wifi when this happens? Then try getting off wi-fi, quitting the browser, clearing history, etc. Then try it with just your mobile provider. It if doesn't happen, but then happens again when you connect to your wi-fi, then you know it is either your router or your ISP that has a problem.

Jun 19, 2017 4:05 PM in response to MacMostGary

Thanks for your help, but there was no problem with the Guardian website as the problem occurred randomly at other websites as well. It also had nothing to do with a WiFi connection, because I was not using WiFi when it happened.

However, I think I solved the problem and want to provide a solution here for anyone who may encounter similar trouble. It seems that the popup finally went away when I deleted most of my "website data".

I originally thought it would be sufficient to just clear all "History and Website Data" in Settings/Safari, but it turned out that this does not delete the website data at all. In fact, when I go to Settings/Safari/Advanced/Website-Data, there was tons of stuff left that was not deleted yet. In fact, in that menu there is also an option to "Delete Website Data". I clicked on this option repeatedly, but nothing happened. Although the phone claimed that all the Website Data had been deleted, I could confirm that all the stuff was still there. Absolutely nothing got deleted. I then went individually through the list, swiped over every single line, and deleted it one by one. Took me almost 20 min. This way I could delete almost all Website Data. About 10 items could not be deleted, no matter how often I tried. I searched online, and this seems to be a common problem since iOS 10.3. In any case, even though I could not delete these last 10 items, the stupid popup seems to have disappeared with one of the other deleted data. At least, so far the popup has not returned for eight hours ...

Aug 17, 2017 5:37 PM in response to JanwJax

There are no instructions of any kind to follow regarding a virus. You don't have one, and neither did Avatar1234567.

Double tap the home button to call up the application switcher. Rotate through the open apps until Safari is in front. Swipe it up and off the screen. This closes and unloads the app. Just like quitting an app on your Mac.

Go to System and under Safari, clear all website data. Open Safari again. It should be clear. Or, it will be until you visit the same site the popup comes from.

How to delete Four Virus from iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.