Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Log into iCloud from Android

Hey folks,

I am unable to log into my iCloud account from my Android phone. I get the warning: "Unable to set up account. Authentication failed". This started today when I was trying to troubleshoot my wife's phone. Over the course of the day, I have turned 2FA on and off. I have turned 2-Step Auth on and off. Neither are active at this time. I have tried three different email clients for Android including Gmail, Bluemail, and the stock client. I have also reset my iCloud password. Nothing works.

I AM able to access by iCloud account through my desktop browser (webmail), Apple Mail and my iPad. Just not on my Android device. I am running OS 10.11.6 and Android v7.

Any ideas? Thanks.

null-OTHER, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), SS Galaxy 7

Posted on Jun 18, 2017 10:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2017 9:31 AM

Hi - I believe that they are now requiring an app-specific password for any third-party apps that access your iCloud account. I think it began on June 15th if I'm not mistaken. Though sometimes inconvenient, you really do want to utilize 2-factor authorization. It makes your Apple ID account and data much more secure. I would suggest turning it on and generating an app-specific password to see if that resolves your problem.

Here is a good article on 2-factor auth: Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2017 9:31 AM in response to Jowdog

Hi - I believe that they are now requiring an app-specific password for any third-party apps that access your iCloud account. I think it began on June 15th if I'm not mistaken. Though sometimes inconvenient, you really do want to utilize 2-factor authorization. It makes your Apple ID account and data much more secure. I would suggest turning it on and generating an app-specific password to see if that resolves your problem.

Here is a good article on 2-factor auth: Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Jun 19, 2017 10:03 AM in response to RJG1999

yes but currently I am at work trying to get my emails and I don't have an "Apple" with me.

Even thou I have set up the security questions and have 3 emails as back up and 1 phone number.

****at least one device that's using iOS 9 or OS X El Capitan or later****

this is truly awful. 😮 I can see if you are new (creating an account) but an established account for YEARS (10?).

Jun 19, 2017 9:25 AM in response to RJG1999

Hey RJG1999,

Are all third party apps now required to use an "app-specific passwords"? Are the days of a single password over? Is Apple forcing the issue?

I realize that if I have 2FA activated, I have to use an app-specific password but it is currently turned off. Are you suggesting I turn it back on and then use the ASP?

Jun 19, 2017 10:17 AM in response to RJG1999

You are correct!

Beginning on 15 June, app-specific passwords will be required to access your iCloud data using third-party apps such as Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, or other mail, contacts and calendar services not provided by Apple.

If you are already signed in to a third-party app using your primary Apple ID password, you will be signed out automatically when this change takes effect. You will need to generate an app-specific password and sign in again.

I will do this and hopefully, it works. Thanks.

Can't Log into iCloud from Android

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.