Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove user and AppleTV from Home App?

I had a roommate move out. They had an AppleTV v4 that was part of my home network, and was identified as one of the AppleTV Home App hubs. In addition the roommate was added to event notifications from the Home App (lights on/off, door locked/unlocked, etc.). They moved out and took their AppleTV with them. Now I am getting a warning every time I open the Home App on any of my devices that the roommates AppleTV is not responding.

I can find how to add things to the Home App, but I cannot find anywhere how to remove the no longer present AppleTV from my home configuration. Likewise, I cannot find how to remove the roommate from receiving notifications on their iPhone of events in my house.

Is there any way to remove a no longer present AppleTV and a user from the Home App setup? (I have my own AppleTV v4 still in the house and working correctly as far as controlling my home.)

Or is the only option to totally remove my home from the Home App and start all over setting up my devices and automation? I hope there is another option, recreating all of my setup is not trivial 😟.

Posted on Jun 19, 2017 8:36 AM

1 reply

Jun 20, 2017 5:54 AM in response to rockrimmon

Hi rockrimmon ,

I understand that you had an Apple TV set up as a home hub with access shared with your roommate, but now the roommate has moved out with the Apple TV and it is causing some issues. I'm happy to provide some help for this issue.

First of all, you can remove your roommate's access with the steps provided here:

Automate and remotely access your HomeKit accessories - Apple Support

User uploaded file

Allow remote access and edit permissions for users

If you set up a home hub, you can manage remote access and edit permissions for people that you invite to control your home. If you don't have a home hub set up, they can only control your accessories while they're at your home, connected to your home Wi-Fi network, and within range of your HomeKit accessories.

To manage remote access and change permissions for a person, invite the person to control your home. Then follow these steps:

1. Open Home and tap User uploaded file.
  2. Tap the person that you want to edit permissions for.
  3. Set the following access for your user:
    • Allow Remote Access: Turn on to allow users to control your accessories from any location. Turn off to allow users to only control your accessories while they're at your house.
    • Allow Editing: Turn on to allow them to add and remove accessories, scenes, and other users.

If you want to remove a person, tap User uploaded file, tap the user, then tap Remove Person.

If after this, you still receive errors about their Apple TV, it's important to note that a home hub requires being signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID that is used on your iOS device:

Automate and remotely access your HomeKit accessories - Apple Support

Set up Apple TV as a home hub

1. On your iOS device or Mac, set up two-factor authentication for your Apple ID. Then go to iCloud and make sure that you have iCloud Keychain turned on.
  2. On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Accounts and make sure that you're signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID as your iOS device.
  3. After you sign in to iCloud, your Apple TV automatically sets itself up as a home hub. To check the status of your home hub, go to Settings > Accounts > iCloud and look under HomeKit to see if your home hub is connected. Learn what to do if you don’t see HomeKit.

Want to check the status of your home hub in the Home app on your iOS device? Open the Home app and tap User uploaded file in the upper-left corner. Then look under Home Hubs to see if your home hub is connected.

Check that your iPhone is not signed in using your roommate's Apple ID in iCloud by tapping Settings > [your name], and tap iCloud. If it's using your Apple ID, then contact your roommate and make sure their Apple TV is not signed in to iCloud using your Apple ID in Settings > Accounts.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Remove user and AppleTV from Home App?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.