You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Adobe Flash Player required sometimes -alternatives?

In conflict over whether to accept installing Adobe Flash Player with all the warnings I have

read on this message board about the number of scams they have experienced and even

that the company may go under.

Is it a 'plug-in'? A subscription to a service presenting videos says that it is required

for Macs to receive the subscription. Are there safer alternatives that accomplish the

same thing? Has Adobe Flash Player safety improved in the last year so that it might

be okay to install it now?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Memory4GB1600MHz,Processor1.3GHz

Posted on Jun 19, 2017 8:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2017 8:47 AM

If a particular website is still using Flash to day its best to not want to visit it. Adobe is known for its security vulnerabilities. And its not just about scams or other annoying ads.

It's what Flash may allow someone to do on your computer without you even knowing about it.

http://www.csoonline.com/article/3158488/security/are-the-adobe-flash-vulnerabil ities-leaving-you-feeling-scared.html

31 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 19, 2017 8:47 AM in response to macjack

If a particular website is still using Flash to day its best to not want to visit it. Adobe is known for its security vulnerabilities. And its not just about scams or other annoying ads.

It's what Flash may allow someone to do on your computer without you even knowing about it.

http://www.csoonline.com/article/3158488/security/are-the-adobe-flash-vulnerabil ities-leaving-you-feeling-scared.html

Jun 19, 2017 8:29 AM in response to allan299

Flash is a media content delivery platform. Web Developers can choose to use it to deliver audio, video or other content, but its never been particularly safe or good at it.

If a particular website is still using flash in 2017 its best to avoid it at this time. Adobe is in no risk of going under, it makes many other products that do quite well, including Photoshop, After Effects and others.

Flash however is a dying technology and should be actively avoided.

Jun 19, 2017 9:30 AM in response to allan299

Yes, it is a browser plug-in. I use Adobe Flash Player myself and have had no issues with it. However there are many bogus Flash Player installs on the internet. They will download malware. To avoid this only download Flash Player from Official Adobe website.

Adobe Flash Player Install for all versions

Also never follow any instructions from pop-ups that tell you to update Flash Player. Only update from within System Preferences > Adobe Flash Player (once installed), or from Official Adobe website.

Jun 19, 2017 9:33 AM in response to allan299

Adobe Flash Player is the state of the art motion/video plug in.

Adobe is the target of a number of hacking and scam attempts every day, just as Microsoft, Apple, Dell, and a ton of other technology companies are scam targets. Hackers consider a successful hack of these companies the holy grail of the hacking community.

You can avoid all of those scams by using the Adobe official website. Click on download Flash.

Avoid trying to Google the Adobe Flash layer. You'l find a ton of links to Flash...some good, some not so good.

This is the official link to get Flash: Adobe Flash Player Install for all versions , however, if you're still cautious, I'd recommend going directly to Adobe at adobe.com, clicking on support, and choosing download and install. Flash is at the bottom of that page.

Jun 19, 2017 8:35 AM in response to Phil0124

Hi Phil, you are correct that Flash is a dying technology. However, if it is necessary to view a particular website I see nothing wrong with using it, as long as you don't fall for any of the Flash Player scams out there. Adobe is still actively issuing security updates for it and in years of using it, I've never had a problem.

Jun 19, 2017 9:58 AM in response to allan299

If I absolutely positively MUST access content on a page that requires Flash, I use the Chrome browser. Flash player is built into it and is updated by Google automagically.

If my employer does not require that I access the page, and it requires the use of Flash, I'll take my eyeballs elsewhere. I despise Flash and will not willingly support any company or web property that requires its use.

Jun 19, 2017 10:11 AM in response to Stuart423

I Could not agree more with Kilted Tim.

Unfortunately there are no alternatives.

But, if you absolutely positively need to use Flash some reason, Chrome is a good choice, and making sure its only allowed to run for the particular website you need to use would be the best course of action.

https://www.technorms.com/37427/disable-flash-for-specific-websites-in-chrome-fi refox

Jun 19, 2017 1:22 PM in response to KiltedTim

Thank you for responding.

Safari > Preferences > Search> Search Engine side panel does not list Chrome browser:

so then, please: how does one switch to Chrome and then back to Safari?

On this message board have read lots of people not liking the intrusiveness of Chrome,

is that present when you just use it and then switch over to Safari?

Jun 19, 2017 5:24 PM in response to allan299

The installer package would be in Downloads. From there you would need to open the DMG file and install the application in your Applications folder.

There (in the Applications folder) it would sit inactive until you open it. You can then close it at any time and it would again be inactive.

Download and install Google Chrome - Computer - Google Chrome Help

Why is Adobe Flash Player required sometimes -alternatives?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.