Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Consumer Cellular charge wifi calls like cellular calls?

I'm trying Consumer Cellular with my iPhone 6.

I activated wifi calling on my iPhone and the iPhone does indicate "CC Wi-Fi" at the upper left corner of the screen. But it appears that Consumer Cellular is charge wifi minutes as if they were cellular minutes which makes no sense (and is a show-stopper for Consumer Cellular if so).

I emailed Consumer Cellular days ago but haven't gotten any reply.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 10.3.2

Posted on Jun 19, 2017 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2017 1:26 PM

Just got a call from Consumer Cellular. There was nothing wrong with my iPhone. They admitted that they charge for wifi calling minutes just like cellular calling minutes. (So I closed my account with them.)

4 replies

Jun 19, 2017 1:25 PM in response to KeepImmigrants

From what I understand, Wi-Fi calling is only used when you don't have a good cellular signal. If you are in a building or basement where cellular signal is unreliable but you have Wi-Fi, the phone will then make the call over Wi-Fi. Otherwise cellular is used.

Ultimately you will need to get an answer from Consumer Cellular. With T-Mobile they say that Wi-Fi calling is free on certain plans but if you don't have unlimited calling then Wi-Fi calling uses minutes just as if you were using cellular.

Does Consumer Cellular charge wifi calls like cellular calls?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.