Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connect to server using different credentials

i've got a NAS drive (wd mycloud) for which i have used 'connect to server' in macOS to mount a few public shares which i use the drive's admin credentials for.

i recently created a new user on the NAS drive which is associated with a new share. this new share is set to private. i set this private share such that the admin credentials cannot be used to access it via Finder, or File Explorer (windows).

my issue is that I'm not having much success getting this new share to auto-mount at login, as do the public shares. i am not sure that Finder is using the appropriate username and password to attempt to mount the share.

i know that when i do a 'connect to server' and type "smb://wdmycloud" then hit browse, i see the device, when I double-click it, i see all the shares, however above the share folders it says "Connected as: admin". i cannot use admin to connect to the new private share.

i was able to add the private share pretty painless in windows 10, seems not so straightforward to me in macOS.

can anyone help ?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), macOS Sierra (10.12.4), 2.0 GHz/16GB/256GB

Posted on Jun 19, 2017 3:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2017 3:28 PM

Try Finder -> Go -> Connect to server -> smb://new_Username@wdmycloud

If you can get it mounted, then when prompted for the password, allow the Finder to store the password in Keychain.

Once mounted, Find the volume and create an Alias for the volume. Drag the Alias to your System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Startup Items. The Alias will encode the account used to connect and the next time you try to access it via the Alias, the Finder will get the password from the Keychain.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2017 3:28 PM in response to zero7404

Try Finder -> Go -> Connect to server -> smb://new_Username@wdmycloud

If you can get it mounted, then when prompted for the password, allow the Finder to store the password in Keychain.

Once mounted, Find the volume and create an Alias for the volume. Drag the Alias to your System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Startup Items. The Alias will encode the account used to connect and the next time you try to access it via the Alias, the Finder will get the password from the Keychain.

Jun 21, 2017 5:52 PM in response to QuietMacFan

i'll read the entirety of your response a bit later .... from what i skimmed thru thus far -

i have 2 distinct users setup on the nas itself and the admin is able to read/write from the public shares. while it is not allowed to read/write to the private share which is setup for the other user (not admin).

i verified the access for all the shares within the dashboard on the nas. i'm not sure if this screenshot will help any ....

User uploaded file

Jun 21, 2017 5:04 PM in response to zero7404

I cannot say I really don't know but here's what I see:

I'm not sure that your NAS allows two logins

I see two possibilities:

there would be a conflict in the kernel if the drive were mounted 2x of course (no way to know which update was "better" where a conflicting update was requested), and the kernel wouldn't allow it anyway, it would be non-atomic and end in corruption despite best efforts and guesses.

It seems to me you might try connecting to the NAS drive as a different user (ie, having two users active at same time on your desktop, ie via su(1)).

that is: you have a "network attached storage" and a single (login) to it. on that mount you can only access as the user you attached as (how apple does any mounted device). (you'd have to connect as the user who can read all parts of the drive you want read)

to read the device, user level authority would then exist (permissions on files) once connected.

you might then have "keyed access to that storage", perhaps one per user - if the driver for the device does not support file permissions and needs an interface to ask for keys. but i doubt this case happens.

----------------------------

possibility two is: your NAS does not allow remote mounting because it does all atomic (wheel) updating and does not allow external OS control, because multiple connections of different OS running in different space and time would certainly corrupt data. (in other words, it has an internal OS, and is basically like connecting to remote NFS)

the NAS is never "mounted" as a disk by Apple (that while your shown an icon, it is not a mount icon), and two different users read the NAS separately

in that case each session to accessing should be by a driver which has opened a session. i imagine such a driver would allow at least one per user concurrently if not multiple per user, and cannot say

------------------------------

i would be suspicious of any software that allowed you multiple connections if they really were separately mounted connections. OS run in different time and space. there is no known way to synchronize two of them because conflict management always must fail in more complicated cases.

perhaps what you've seen is an OS which is not doing what you think it is with the connection (it is bypassing security or worse: is using a shaky algorithm that does not really keep concurent wheel requests synchronized in the end)

connect to server using different credentials

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.