Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can default location of mail be changed

Can i have apple mail store the mails to another location other than the default ~\library\mail..

My problem is i have a SSD drive of 256GB and a secondary HDD of 750GB.

The mail in apple mail take up all the space on the primary drive.

Is there a way that the mail are stored on my secondary drive instead of the primary one.

I was able to do it way back in "leopard" by changing the location of the users folder . however changing this location worked perfect till i went in for an os upgrade to a newer version.

the newer version back then was not able to understand this change in user location and messed up the upgrade.

I assume i can still do that but was looking for a more safer way ?

HELP

VIK

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Jun 19, 2017 9:02 PM

15 replies

Jun 20, 2017 3:17 AM in response to vikaspell

We can enter into user library : macOS Sierra: Library folder

Find a folder Mail , select it right click on it , click on copy mail , the method was stated in the above post , after copy paste you can also drag and drop V4 folder on the desktop , insert the usb stick in system , open it then again drag and drop V4 folder in the usb stick , all mails in your IMAP account are moved in USB stick .

That is more simple method , any ways regarding the question how to copy mails in my Mac section , take cursor on top menu bar , click on mailbox > new mailbox .A small window appears .

User uploaded file

Name it any thing say abv and click on ok .

User uploaded file

Drag and drop the desired important mails from inbox , sent ... in this folder .

Jun 20, 2017 1:52 AM in response to vikaspell

I have not tried this, but it should work. Make sure you have an up to date backup before you start making those changes (even though they seem pretty safe, I am not offering any guarantees).

1) Quit Mail

2) In the Finder, copy the whole ~/Library/Mail folder to the desired location.

For the purpose of this explanation I will assume it is /Volumes/External/Mail

(change the name accordingly in what follows)

3) Delete the original ~/Library/Mail folder - or, better still, rename it, or place it somewhere else in your system drive.

4) Create a symlink from ~/Library/Mail to the actual folder in the External drive.

In Terminal, type the following commands:

cd ~/Library

ln -s /Volumes/External/Mail Mail

Jun 20, 2017 1:53 AM in response to tygb

tygb

I am not sure i understand you correct.

I need the mailbox in the "On My Mac" section however i don't want the mails to be stored in the ~/library/mails/v4/**** folder.

How can i have a mail box on a usb and still have them being displayed in apple mail(on the mac section)

request you to please elaborate on what you mean above

Vikas

Jun 20, 2017 8:55 AM in response to tygb

Dear TYGB,

Thank you for you effort, however i think you misunderstood what i want to do.

I know how to copy mails to an external folder or on the usb drive.

What i dont understand is how is that going to help me . since i want the mails to be there in apple mail and still not use the disk space in the primary drive (~/library/mail).

what i was asking is if there is a way to keep mails in apple mail and have them stored on another location other than ~/library/mail

VIK

Jun 20, 2017 9:02 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Dear Luis,

I will have to try this?

The concept seems doable but have to try.

Just 1 question

should i symlink "~/library" or "~/library/mail"

i don't want everything in the library on another location just the mail folder.

Is the command

------------

cd ~/Library

----------------

to symlink the whole library folder or just the mail folder.

Vik

Jun 20, 2017 9:20 AM in response to vikaspell

My instructions were to symlink only ~/Library/Mail, not the whole ~/Library folder.

[Caution: Be careful when typing things in the Terminal. You have to type things exactly (*)]

In the lines

cd ~/Library

-the first one changes the current directory to ~/Library, so after executing it you are "sitting" in the Library folder inside your home folder;

-the second one creates a symbolic link (symlink) to the directory /Volumes/External/Mail and names it as "Mail", in the current directory - i.e. it makes it so that "~/Library/Mail" becomes a symlink to /Volumes/External/Mail, which what we are after.

(*) with the required adaptations, unless your external drive is called "External" and you put the "Mail" folder right inside the volume, and not inside some other folder, of course.

If you want to to get the exact path to your external Mail folder, you can obtain it by dragging the folder over to a Terminal window; then copy and paste that)

Jun 20, 2017 9:23 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

In addition to my last post:

After copying I would rename the Mail folder to something like Mail(old), create the symlink, restart and test.

If something goes awry you can simply delete the symlink, rename Mail(old) back to Mail, restart and be back to where you were before. It is good to be cautious, and this way you don't take risks.

But I expect the whole procedure to work nicely.

Ah! And don't forget to backup.

Jun 20, 2017 10:05 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Dear luis,

Thank of the explanation..

I haven't used symlink earlier so i am a little confused

Just taking clowning my whole drive as a backup, just in case situations.

Btw what if i change the whole users folder location, Mac allows us to change the location if the users folder.

I used to have my users on the addition HDD way back in leopard but never really changed the location of user after that. since the update to the newer OS messed things up really bad.

VIk

Jun 20, 2017 10:19 AM in response to vikaspell

vikaspell wrote:

Dear luis,

Thank of the explanation..

I haven't used symlink earlier so i am a little confused

Just taking clowning my whole drive as a backup, just in case situations.

Yes, that is a very good idea.

Btw what if i change the whole users folder location, Mac allows us to change the location if the users folder.

I used to have my users on the addition HDD way back in leopard but never really changed the location of user after that. since the update to the newer OS messed things up really bad.

VIk

In principle, the same idea should work.

Again, one should be careful.

I would start by creating a new admin user.

The following would be done while logged in as this new admin, so you wouldn't be messing with your own home folder while logged in as yourself (this would be dangerous).

Also in case something goes wrong later, one can intervene by logging in as this admin user.

I would then try moving the home folder of your own normal user account(s) to the other drive (Note: NOT the whole /Users, but the home folders inside that, except the one for this new admin), and replace those with symlinks.

Jun 21, 2017 12:58 AM in response to vikaspell

vikaspell wrote:

Just found a link that explains things. No awaiting to try and confirm

https://gigaom.com/2011/04/27/how-to-create-and-use-symlinks-on-a-mac/

btw while reading on symlinks i saw that "System integrity protection" could protect me from creating symlinks on the ~/library folder .

Now sure if you already know is SIP could be a spoiler here

VIK

I just tried to create in ~/Library a symlink to one of my folders and it worked without issue. (I did NOT try moving the Mail folder, just to test if there was a problem with creating symlinks).

SIP prevents one from changing the contents of system related folders (hence its name): we can change, for example, /System/Library. It does not prevent you from messing with your own folders.

Can default location of mail be changed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.