Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reinstall OS X Mavericks after Wiped Hard Drive

So I wanted to erase everything on my Mac, I did so successfully. I also made a new Apple ID because I forgot the password to my old one and the recovery email is linked to one I am no longer able to access, so my only choice was to make a new Apple ID. Now when I try reinstalling OS X Mavericks, it says that an error has occurred while preparing installation. I don't know what else to do. Before it would at least let me input my Apple ID and then it would tell me the application was not available at the time, but now nothing. Could it have been because it was a new Apple ID? Is there anything I could do?

Thank you.

Posted on Jun 20, 2017 11:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2017 12:33 PM

Are you booted into the Recovery Partition? When you erased the disk, did you reformat the disk as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with option GUID?

Try booting into Internet Recovery (command - option/alt - R on a restart). It is a slow process. This will install the OS that the computer shipped with. You can then try to upgrade from there.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2017 12:33 PM in response to narcos_

Are you booted into the Recovery Partition? When you erased the disk, did you reformat the disk as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with option GUID?

Try booting into Internet Recovery (command - option/alt - R on a restart). It is a slow process. This will install the OS that the computer shipped with. You can then try to upgrade from there.

Aug 19, 2017 7:36 AM in response to debira

Are you erasing the hard drive or the Macintosh partition? The hard drive is the top entry (not indented)?

Do you have access to another Mac computer? If so, try logging into the App Store using your old Apple ID and go to the Purchases tab. Download the installer for the OS you would like to have installed. When the download completes, quit the installer. You can make a bootable USB stick to install using this free program which will do all the work for you. Try booting the computer from that. Run Disk Utility Verify/Repair Disk and Repair Permissions (or First Aid if installing El Capitan) until you get no errors. Reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Option button and select GUID. Then re-install the OS.

Bootable USB Flash Drive – Diskmaker X oruse Apple’s method Create a bootable installer for OS

Jun 21, 2017 8:45 PM in response to Eric Root

I don't know much about computers, so all I know is that I did a hard reset on my disk. I didn't think about reformatting the disk to extended, and I don't know what a GIUD is. Every time I start up my computer, it brings me to OS X Utilities with the options of Restore from Time Machine Backup, Reinstall OS X, Get help online & disk utility. Every time I try installing a new copy of OS X a little page pops up and says that in order to download and restore OS X, your computer's eligibility will be verified with Apple. But then it says an error has occurred while preparing the installation. I really don't know what to do. But anything would help.

Aug 18, 2017 9:14 AM in response to Eric Root

First of all, I had El Capitan before I erased. I don't know if that matters. How do you format the drive with GUID? Is it too late to do that? I have gotten as far as the computer looking like it is installing Sierra. It looks all very hopeful like it actually installed and then I get the error message. I have tried many times now. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thanks for your help.

Oct 3, 2017 4:57 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

I too erased my MacBook Pro using the Extended (Journaled) and GUID options, however when booting back up and pressing the “command-option/alt-R” keys, the screen stays on a white screen that has a circle with a line through it. No other screens pop-up and no indicatin that the OS is being installed. Any clues?

Pete

How to reinstall OS X Mavericks after Wiped Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.