You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Wi-Fi link-speed is only on 11mbps

Guys I am really not expert in computers, but I think my MacBook Pro 13" 128 gb early 2015 is running way too slow than usual, when using Wi-Fi internet to things like Safari, Chrome and Spotify. I've made a bit of research to try to figure it out myself, but as I said, I'm not great at this.

I have found out that my link-speed is saying max 11 mbps. I don't know if that's normal but it seems to be pretty slow. I have added a picture, so that you can see what I mean. I am sorry that it isn't on English. Can anyone help me? 🙂 User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10.1.1, null

Posted on Jun 21, 2017 9:13 AM

5 replies

Jun 21, 2017 9:36 AM in response to Simonsterhb

Hold down the Option key while you click on the Wi-Fi Icon one the menuBar. You get a display like this older one:

User uploaded file

use its info to answer these questions:

> what do you get for PHY Mode and Channel?

> what do you get for RSSi or Signal or signal-to-Noise, and

> at what estimated distance from the Router?

> What do you get for tx or transmit rate?

> How many Networks are shown?

Jun 25, 2017 9:09 AM in response to Simonsterhb

That information you posted is not self-consistent. You cannot use 802.11 ac on the 2.4GHz band. I will presume you meant to say it is currently using 802.11n.

You have a signal (RSSI ) level of -64dB. With a typical noise level of -85, that give you about -19dB of signal-to-noise, which is good.

A transmit rate of 145 on this channel says you are using two antennas, and the data are being sent as the difference between the two to double the transmit rate.

You are using the very crowded and interference-prone 2.4GHz band, where there are only three clear channels, and most of your neighbors are likely fighting with you over those channels. If your Router is set to "automatic" channel selection, it will "sniff" the airwaves when it power sup, and move to the least-used channel.

If your Router were capable of operating in the 5GHz band, I would expect it to be using the 5GHz band and to be giving you better transmit rates, although it may not as you are near the edge of good transmit rates using the 2.4GHz band, and 5GHz signals are little harder to pick up.

If your Router has 5GHz band, you can Force it to connect on that band by giving the two bands different names, and selectively logging in to the 5GHz network.

My Wi-Fi link-speed is only on 11mbps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.