Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HowTo: Connect 2017 iMac to an Apple 27" LED Cinema Display

What is the recommended adapter that can be used to connect a 2017 iMac (with ThunderBolt 3 USB-C) to an Apple 27" LED Cinema Display (with Mini DisplayPort)?

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Jun 21, 2017 9:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2017 4:29 PM

For less than $20, using the three Monoprice products listed below (originally assembled by Adam Miller and referenced in the "How to connect the Apple Cinema Display to the new MacBook Pro" article) I now have a solution with my Apple 27" LED Cinema Display connected to my 2017 Apple iMac (Retina 5K, 27") and working flawlessly.

DescriptionProduct #Price
Select Series USB-C to DisplayPort Adapter13234$12.74
3ft 32AWG Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable - White6006$2.99
Mini DisplayPort Coupler (Female to Female) - Straight Type6502$2.80
16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2017 4:29 PM in response to jbielefeld

For less than $20, using the three Monoprice products listed below (originally assembled by Adam Miller and referenced in the "How to connect the Apple Cinema Display to the new MacBook Pro" article) I now have a solution with my Apple 27" LED Cinema Display connected to my 2017 Apple iMac (Retina 5K, 27") and working flawlessly.

DescriptionProduct #Price
Select Series USB-C to DisplayPort Adapter13234$12.74
3ft 32AWG Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable - White6006$2.99
Mini DisplayPort Coupler (Female to Female) - Straight Type6502$2.80

Feb 5, 2018 5:52 AM in response to jbielefeld

Hi, below is how i connected mine to a 20" Cinema Display...

Here's how i did it...
So, going from the iMac to the Cinema display, this is the route I took and the leads/adapters I used (please note I am not technically minded, more a creative... !!):
CHOETECH V-CH0018 USB Type C to HDMI Cable
At the HDMI end of this cable I used a HDMI Female/Female connecter
From the female connector I used a HDMI to DVI-D Cable
Then at the end of this I used a DVI-D Female/Female coupler
Then the female end of the coupler into the Cinema Display adapter which comes out of the back of the cinema display.
User uploaded file

Jun 22, 2017 5:57 AM in response to SeaPapp

Mike, I appreciate the reply but the article contained information on "USB-C to DisplayPort" rather than "USB-C to Mini DisplayPort" which is required for the Apple 27" LED Cinema Display connection. I've searched and found adapters such as Amazon.com: USB 3.1 Type C to Mini DisplayPort/Mini DP Adapter Cable With Aluminium Case Support 4K UHD for MacBook Pro … only to read "(Not Compatible with MacBook Pro 2017)" in the details.

I've found adapters such as Amazon.com: USB C to Mini DisplayPort Adapter Cable - USB 3.1 Type C to Mini DisplayPort/Mini DP Aluminium Case- Support… but after reading several articles such as http://www.macworld.com/article/3147786/displays/how-to-connect-apple-cinema-dis plays-to-the-new-macbook-pro.html written in late 2016, referencing "USB-C to Mini DisplayPort" adapters that "are coming", I thought by now that Apple Community members might have some proven solutions to recommend.

If anyone out there has a new 2017 iMac connected to and working well with an Apple 27" LED Cinema Display (Apple Unveils New 27-inch LED Cinema Display - Apple) I'd be quite interested in learning about your solution.

Jul 1, 2017 8:40 AM in response to SeaPapp

Yesterday I contacted Apple Support regarding this issue and was informed "The only recommendation we'd be able to make is an adapter from the Apple Store for which there aren't any adapters available currently, but might be in the future" which was less than encouraging. I then asked if there were any 3rd party solutions that could be recommended and was told "As for a third party solution, I am sure there may be. There are a lot of entrepreneurial individuals out that that love to fill in gaps like this. Nothing that we can recommend here as none of them would be a ‘partnered’ vendor." again, quite disappointing.

So once again, if anyone out there has a new 2017 iMac connected to and working well with an Apple 27" LED Cinema Display (Apple Unveils New 27-inch LED Cinema Display - Apple) I'd be quite interested in learning about your solution.

Jul 24, 2017 9:23 AM in response to jbielefeld

Hi There!

I followed your advice and purchased the exact three items and plugged them in just now and my brand new iMAC 27 inch still acts like the Apple Cinema Display Screen is not attached. I have rebooted. Unplugged and replugged and restarted and played with all the System Prefs for Displays but even with those three items from Monoprice I get nothing. If I unplug the Cinema Display and plug it into the Mini Display Port on my Macbook Pro it fires right up and I get a mirrored image on the Cinema Display. No such luck when plugged into the new iMac.

Any ideas???

Bob

Aug 4, 2017 12:47 PM in response to bobnors

Bob- during my setup of these parts, I made the mistake of not connecting the two Mini DisplayPort connections into the Mini DisplayPort Female-to-Female tight enough. Nothing worked so I started playing around with the various connections. I noticed those two connections were loose. I had to use some slight force to actually fit them in. Once I did that, it worked. Initially, I didn't want to force things in, but that did the trick for me.

Sep 1, 2017 4:10 AM in response to jbielefeld

For UK users not all those parts are readily available and there's a simpler solution.
I have connected my 24" LED Cinema Display to an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) as a second display using:

UGREEN USB C to Mini DisplayPort Adapter USB 3.1 Type C to Mini DP Converter Cable with Power Delivery Support 4K for Apple MacBook Pro 2016, ChromeBook Pixel, Samsung Galaxy S8, S8+, Aluminium Silver

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071VCBS98/

It works perfectly and cost £15.99 including delivery.
HTH

HowTo: Connect 2017 iMac to an Apple 27" LED Cinema Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.