Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to import homemade DVD to iMovie

I had some video camera tapes which I paid someone to put on DVD which she did and now I have 4 DVDs because she made a DVD for each tape. I want to put all of those on 1 DVD as each is not very long. So how do I get those into iMovie on my iMac with El Capitan in the proper format? So many posts all over the internet on this and nothing seem to be definitive, current, or safe. THANK YOU!

iMac

Posted on Jun 25, 2017 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2017 5:43 PM

Hi,

My description will sound a little complicated, but if you follow the steps you'll be able to do this.

To import the contents of a DVD into iMovie you need first to open the DVD package by clicking on it's icon on your desktop. (If the movie opens, close it and click on the icon again.) You will see a screen that looks something like this:

User uploaded file

Open the VIDEO_TS folder. (Ignore the AUDIO_TS folder, it is of no significance here.) When you open the VIDEO_TS folder you will get a screen that looks something like this:

User uploaded file

Option-Drag (copy, not move) all of the files with the extension .VOB to your desktop. These files contain the movie. Be sure only to copy them, not move them, to your desktop or you will disable your original DVD. You can ignore the files with extensions other than .VOB.

Next, download the free app Handbrake and convert the VOB files to Mp4 files that iMovie can read. (iMovie can't read VOB files.) Once you have converted them to Mp4 files then you can import them into iMovie and do whatever editing you want. Do all of the above for each of the 4 DVD's adding them to the same iMovie project, or creating 4 separate projects. From there you share out your project or projects to Mp4 movies on your desktop. Then you drag those shared movies into the project window of a DVD authoring program like iDVD. From there you can burn a new DVD containing all four of your projects. Use DVD-R discs and burn at 4x speed. If you don't have a DVD burner on your computer, you can buy an external DVD burner, like, for example, those manufactured by Lacie.

Hope this helps.

-- Rich

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2017 5:43 PM in response to bzupan1

Hi,

My description will sound a little complicated, but if you follow the steps you'll be able to do this.

To import the contents of a DVD into iMovie you need first to open the DVD package by clicking on it's icon on your desktop. (If the movie opens, close it and click on the icon again.) You will see a screen that looks something like this:

User uploaded file

Open the VIDEO_TS folder. (Ignore the AUDIO_TS folder, it is of no significance here.) When you open the VIDEO_TS folder you will get a screen that looks something like this:

User uploaded file

Option-Drag (copy, not move) all of the files with the extension .VOB to your desktop. These files contain the movie. Be sure only to copy them, not move them, to your desktop or you will disable your original DVD. You can ignore the files with extensions other than .VOB.

Next, download the free app Handbrake and convert the VOB files to Mp4 files that iMovie can read. (iMovie can't read VOB files.) Once you have converted them to Mp4 files then you can import them into iMovie and do whatever editing you want. Do all of the above for each of the 4 DVD's adding them to the same iMovie project, or creating 4 separate projects. From there you share out your project or projects to Mp4 movies on your desktop. Then you drag those shared movies into the project window of a DVD authoring program like iDVD. From there you can burn a new DVD containing all four of your projects. Use DVD-R discs and burn at 4x speed. If you don't have a DVD burner on your computer, you can buy an external DVD burner, like, for example, those manufactured by Lacie.

Hope this helps.

-- Rich

Best way to import homemade DVD to iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.