Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicates of every photo on my iPhone - twice as many as I need to store!

I have duplicates on all of my photos on my iPhone 5s, one of each can be deleted on my phone and the other cannot (I'm assuming the one I cannot delete is the version stored on my mac). This means I have 1000s of photos taking up memory on my phone that I can already see! I want one version of each photo on my iphone and a matching photo on my mac so that I don't need all this extra storage space, however I still want them backed up to my mac so that if something happens to my phone then I won't lose the photos.

Help!

iPhone 5s, iOS 10.3.2

Posted on Jun 28, 2017 11:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2017 6:41 AM

Hi adamsw1234,

I understand that you have duplicates of your photos on your iPhone, but you're only able to delete one version of each of these duplicates. I'm happy to provide some help with this issue.

Based on your description of this issue, it sounds like you are right that the ones that you cannot delete were transferred to your iPhone from your Mac. Check out the steps in the following article to learn how to turn off iTunes syncing for Photos and keep your photos up to date on all of your devices:

Keep your photos safely stored and up to date on all of your devices - Apple Support

Turn off iTunes syncing

If you don't want the synced photos on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch anymore, turn off syncing in iTunes and they'll be removed from your device. You can turn off syncing for some of your photo albums or all of them at once.

Stop syncing some albums

1. Open iTunes on your computer and connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
  2. Click on the device icon in iTunes.
  3. Click Photos.
  4. Choose "Selected albums" and deselect the albums or collections that you want to stop syncing.
  5. Click Apply.

Stop syncing all photos

3. Click Photos.
  4. Deselect "Sync Photos" then click "Remove photos."
  5. Click Apply.

Learn how to delete photos and videos synced from iTunes when you can't access the originals.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2017 6:41 AM in response to adamsw1234

Hi adamsw1234,

I understand that you have duplicates of your photos on your iPhone, but you're only able to delete one version of each of these duplicates. I'm happy to provide some help with this issue.

Based on your description of this issue, it sounds like you are right that the ones that you cannot delete were transferred to your iPhone from your Mac. Check out the steps in the following article to learn how to turn off iTunes syncing for Photos and keep your photos up to date on all of your devices:

Keep your photos safely stored and up to date on all of your devices - Apple Support

Turn off iTunes syncing

If you don't want the synced photos on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch anymore, turn off syncing in iTunes and they'll be removed from your device. You can turn off syncing for some of your photo albums or all of them at once.

Stop syncing some albums

3. Click Photos.
  4. Choose "Selected albums" and deselect the albums or collections that you want to stop syncing.
  5. Click Apply.

Stop syncing all photos

3. Click Photos.
  4. Deselect "Sync Photos" then click "Remove photos."
  5. Click Apply.

Learn how to delete photos and videos synced from iTunes when you can't access the originals.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Duplicates of every photo on my iPhone - twice as many as I need to store!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.