Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop OS X from trying to init Linux volumes

How do I stop OS X Sierra from trying to mount my Linux drive every time it boots? Seeing a dialog "this disk is not readable, Initialise, Ignore, ..." is not much helpful on each boot, not even mind if somebody clicks on the Initialise and ruins the whole Linux install by accident.

Obviously, I tried the (still deprecated?) fstab route, but for that, I need the volume UUID. To get that, I need to MOUNT the volume. Still obviously, I can't mount the volume because OS X does't read EXT filesystem.

Kind of Catch-22, ain't it?

I could try to specify the volumes in fstab by mountpoint (/dev/disk2s1), but that is quite viable to change and could break havoc with the system if the mountpoints changed.

Thanks for any help.

macOS Sierra (10.12.4)

Posted on Jun 30, 2017 1:14 AM

4 replies

Jun 30, 2017 3:54 AM in response to canis68K

See if this helps.

1. Go to the Apple menu and select 'About This Mac'
  2. Now click on 'System Report'
  3. This will launch the System Information utility
  4. In System Information utility, select SATA/SAS
  5. It should list at the top the drive or drives
  6. Select the drive in question i.e. the one containing the Ext3 or Ext4 partition
  7. It should then below list all the volumes on that drive and detail each volume/partitions UUID number

Whilst I don't have a drive with a Linux Ext3 or Ext4 partition on it the above unlike other methods e.g. diskutil in Terminal it lists the UUID for the hidden EFI and Recovery HD partitions even though they are not mounted. I am therefore hopeful it will list the Ext3 or Ext4 partition for you as well.

Note: CoreStorage volumes e.g. a FileVault encrypted volume will not show a UUID using the above method but this will not apply to a Linux Ext3 or Ext4 volume.

Jun 30, 2017 3:08 AM in response to dialabrain

Thanks, I am aware of such drivers. But I do not want to mount and read the filesystem, I want to prevent OS from trying to initialise it upon boot, since it has no need. That can, AFAIK, be only done by editing etc/fstab, and writing the UUID of the volume there with the option to ignore it. But without mounting the volume, I can't get the UUID. Catch 22. I guess I could read the UUID in Linux itself, would that work? Thanks.

How to stop OS X from trying to init Linux volumes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.