Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Apple Pencil be charged by an iPhone?

Asking this in the iPad forum since there is not an Apple Pencil or iPad accessory forum.

Can I plug my Apple Pencil into an iPhone to charge it? I tried doing so, but then when I swipe to my widget screen where I can see the Battery widget, I do not see the Apple Pencil show up there or as charging.

Is this possible? The circumstance is if my iPad doesn't have much juice left, or has died, can I charge the Apple Pencil in another device while the iPad is charging.

Posted on Jun 30, 2017 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2017 1:29 PM

It won’t show up in the widget since it won’t pair with anything but an iPad Pro. Whether it charges or not you’ll only know if you try and then check it in the iPad Pro. You can also charge it from an iPhone or iPad power brick with a lightening cable and the adapter that came in the pencil box.

2 replies

Jun 30, 2017 7:07 PM in response to Michael Black

Thanks. I guess the only way to know was to try it, and I did.

Luckily, it does. When the Apple Pencil is plugged into my iPhone and I swipe to see the batteries widget on my iPad, I see that it is charging with the lightning icon and percentage increasing.

I also learned that Apple Pencil charges super fast! Within a few minutes it jumped up 5%

Can Apple Pencil be charged by an iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.