Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install or reinstall Capture NX-D and ViewNX-i from Nikon

Hello,

recently I wanted to reinstall the latest version of Capture NX-D and ViewNX-i from Nikon on my MacBook under Sierra 10.12.5. The installer launches but stops right after clicking on "Install" with the message "The installation is complete" without doing anything...

An older version of the Software had been installed and since removed some time ago.

It seems the Installer somehow recognizes that the software is still installed.

I have tried to manually remove all components like preferences, receipts etc. but without luck.

I am stuck, which is frustrating. Does anybody have an Idea where to look or what to do?

Thank you and regards,

Alex.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Jul 1, 2017 2:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2017 10:07 AM

Been a while since I looked at Nikon's software. Yes, they're just a month or so old per release date. So, no need to do any of that Terminal stuff in Recovery Mode. Also no need to download ViewNX-i separately. The Capture NX-D download installs both ViewNX-i and itself.

If you need, or want to uninstall anything it puts on the drive, there are uninstall apps in each folder it creates.

User uploaded file

Some quick testing. These new apps are far superior to what originally replaced the older, abandoned titles. Much, much faster reaction time while using the tools.

Personally, I don't even see a purpose for ViewNX-i. Does just what it says. "Views" images from your camera, or any other image on your Mac with very little in the way of adjustment controls. Nikon Transfer 2? I can do that with Apple's supplied Image Capture.

Capture NX-D is the useful install. Lots of image controls, and much better color rendition of RAW images than the Adobe RAW filter in Photoshop as Nikon knows exactly how that camera captures and saves color. I've avoided it for years because Nikon's software was painfully slow in comparison to Adobe RAW. I'll have to give it another serious look.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2017 10:07 AM in response to Alexander Lamm

Been a while since I looked at Nikon's software. Yes, they're just a month or so old per release date. So, no need to do any of that Terminal stuff in Recovery Mode. Also no need to download ViewNX-i separately. The Capture NX-D download installs both ViewNX-i and itself.

If you need, or want to uninstall anything it puts on the drive, there are uninstall apps in each folder it creates.

User uploaded file

Some quick testing. These new apps are far superior to what originally replaced the older, abandoned titles. Much, much faster reaction time while using the tools.

Personally, I don't even see a purpose for ViewNX-i. Does just what it says. "Views" images from your camera, or any other image on your Mac with very little in the way of adjustment controls. Nikon Transfer 2? I can do that with Apple's supplied Image Capture.

Capture NX-D is the useful install. Lots of image controls, and much better color rendition of RAW images than the Adobe RAW filter in Photoshop as Nikon knows exactly how that camera captures and saves color. I've avoided it for years because Nikon's software was painfully slow in comparison to Adobe RAW. I'll have to give it another serious look.

Jul 1, 2017 9:33 AM in response to Alexander Lamm

It doesn't work because the installer places files in locations that are now off limits in El Capitan and later. You can still get it to work, though.

Restart into Recovery Mode (restart and hold the Command+R keys). Ignore the initial screen with the choices to reinstall the OS, etc. At the top menu bar, launch Terminal. In Terminal, type:

csrutil disable

You should get a return message that System Integrity Protection was successfully disabled. Then type:

reboot

The system will restart. Let it go back to the desktop normally. Install the Nikon software. Can't recall if you have to restart afterwards. Do so if it asks. The software should now work. Once that's confirmed, restart into Recovery Mode, and once again, launch Terminal. Type:

csrutil enable

Followed by:

reboot

SIP is now back on, and the Nikon software should still be usable.

These older (and frankly, better) versions will never be updated. Nikon has newer software that is compatible with El Capitan and later, but doesn't have as many features as the previous stuff.

The new Capture NX-D and ViewNX-i are supposed to be compatible with Yosemite, El Capitan and Sierra, without doing all of the Terminal stuff above. I'm downloading them now to test with my D800.

Unable to install or reinstall Capture NX-D and ViewNX-i from Nikon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.