Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete a Mailbox folder from Mail?

Can't delete Mailbox from Mail?

I first Googled this question, but none of the answers work for me. Most people simply explain how to remove an account from Mail, when all I want to do is delete a mailbox that I created in Mail.

In Mail if you go to Mailbox/New Mailbox... you can create a new mail folder down the left for dragging/dropping emails into. I've done this loads of times and have about 10 mailbox folders down the left side.

However, this morning I was deleting some of these mail folders as I no longer needed them, but one of them won't delete when I right click on it and select the Delete Mailbox... option. After I click the confirm button it is still there and didn't delete like the others I deleted.

I've re-started computer, repaired disc using first aid, I've also deleted the few mails that were in the folder and tried to delete the empty folder and I've even re-named the folder and then tried deleting it – nothing works. Am I stuck with this silly folder for life?

I'm running OX Sierra version 10.12.5

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Jul 1, 2017 12:54 AM

9 replies

Jul 1, 2017 1:53 AM in response to Nigel-66

If you create a new mail box and right click on it , and click on delete mail box

User uploaded file

A small pop - up window appears , click on delete it is deleted .

User uploaded file

And if you create , a new smart mail box folder and right click on delete mail box

User uploaded file

A pop - up window appears and click on delete it is deleted .

User uploaded file

And if you create a smart mail box

User uploaded file

And right click on it

User uploaded file

Click on delete it will delete .

Now , the option left over is you imported mails : Mail for Mac: Import or export mailboxes

The messages are in a new mailbox called Import in the Mail sidebar. You can drag folders and messages from the Import mailbox to new or existing mailboxes, then delete the Import mailbox.

Jul 1, 2017 4:55 AM in response to Nigel-66

Are you sure that is not an IMAP mailbox under an account name in the sidebar? If so, you may have to delete it from the webmail site of the provider.

If you can't delete it from the sidebar, quit Mail. In the Finder, select Go, then Go to folder and paste:

~/Library/Mail/V4

A finder window will open to that folder. Find the account folder with that mailbox in it. Try deleting the mailbox from there. Then open Mail and see if it's gone.

Jul 1, 2017 3:05 AM in response to Nigel-66

Try this method : Mail for Mac: Rebuild mailboxes

Select a mailbox in the Mail sidebar, then choose Mailbox > Rebuild.

When you rebuild mailboxes for IMAP or Exchange accounts, messages and attachments stored on your computer are discarded, and then downloaded again from the mail server to your Mac. Your mailbox appears empty until the download is complete.

After it , try to delete the mail box .

Can't delete a Mailbox folder from Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.