Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing Apple music without family sharing

We purchased a family plan for Apple music. However, we do not want to set up family sharing, because then each person can't access their balances in the iTunes store and all purchases go through the credit card of the person who owns the family account.

We are all adults in the family. How can we share Apple music?

null-OTHER, Apple Music

Posted on Jul 1, 2017 4:21 PM

6 replies

Jul 1, 2017 4:58 PM in response to daverill

But I shouldn't have to join/leave every time I want to do something on my own.

I agree.

I would contact Apple Support for this. Ask for iTunes Billing

>> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232 for this

So the original question--can we do Apple music without family sharing--must be no.

It is no. Which I said earlier. Twice.

Feedback for Apple goes here >>> http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Jul 1, 2017 4:42 PM in response to LACAllen

That didn't work for us. I had a balance in my iTunes account and every time I tried to spent it, it told me I needed permission from my husband to use his credit card. So I called Apple and was told that the balance in my iTunes account could not be accessed by me. Ever. It just sat in Apple's bank account. The Apple rep told me that the only way I could access funds in my iTunes account was to leave the family sharing account, which I did.

I was told that the family sharing was more for people who wanted to control what their children spent.

Jul 1, 2017 4:48 PM in response to daverill

The Apple rep told me that the only way I could access funds in my iTunes account was to leave the family sharing account, which I did.

Then the funds should still be available if you are using same Apple ID.

It just sat in Apple's bank account.

The funds were Apple's bank account the instant you bought the gift card.

Sharing Apple music without family sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.