Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime Player / iMovie / Ubuntu / Mac

Hello, I have a problem with QuickTime Player and iMovie. I made a Screencast in Ubuntu, extension is .mp4 and now I'm trying to edit it using iMovie. The problem is when I open it in iMovie, I see a black video without any sound. I tried to open it also in QuickTime Player and an error appears on the screen "The file isn’t compatible with QuickTime Player.".

What should I do to fix this problem?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Jul 2, 2017 4:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2017 7:24 AM

Hi,

You likely have a format issue. Not all Mp4 is compatible with iMovie. It must be Mp4/AAC / h.264. Try reconverting your Mp4 to Mp4 again using the free download, Handbrake. Handbrake by default will create a movie that is compatible with iMovie. Then see if your movie plays in iMovie and Quicktime Player.

Cheers,

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2017 7:24 AM in response to steabi

Hi,

You likely have a format issue. Not all Mp4 is compatible with iMovie. It must be Mp4/AAC / h.264. Try reconverting your Mp4 to Mp4 again using the free download, Handbrake. Handbrake by default will create a movie that is compatible with iMovie. Then see if your movie plays in iMovie and Quicktime Player.

Cheers,

-- Rich

QuickTime Player / iMovie / Ubuntu / Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.