Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't open ANY application from finder because it may be " damaged or incomplete" which is not the case as they open occasionally from other apps.

When I try to open an application using the dock, finder window "Applications", launchpad, recent items or even by trying to open any particular given file directly, I get the message:

"You can't open application 'application name' because it may be damaged or incomplete."

which effectively cripples my entire iMac. The only way I've been able to open an app is occasionally from another app. Eg. A link to a website in an email may open Safari And form there Safari works exactly like it should. But there seems to be no consistency in this being a sure fire way to open anything.

I have installed macOS updates, reinstalled the macOS from a copy downloaded from the AppStore on another computer, I have booted in safe mode and performed RAM clearings and I just can't ditch this bug.

This started after I'd filled the hard drive to an almost critical level apparently resulting in the OS seeming to wipe all my internet accounts (or at least my access to them) with out actually wiping them yet not permitting me to reconnect them saying they were already there.

I'm running an iMac 27" 5k Retina display, late 2015 with 3.2GHz Intel Core i5 with 8GB memory and a 1TB fusion drive with macOS Sierra 10.12.5 installed and a Bootcamp partition running Windows 10.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Sierra (10.12.5), 27inch

Posted on Jul 2, 2017 5:50 AM

12 replies

Jul 2, 2017 6:40 AM in response to billyjack76

As per this article : OS X: About Gatekeeper - Apple Support

"Damaged" app. – The app has been altered by something other than the developer. This message will appear no matter the Gatekeeper option chosen.

• "App name" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash.
  • Control clicking app icon then selecting "Open" – Used to exempt Developer ID signature protection from a unidentified developer.

Jul 2, 2017 7:31 AM in response to billyjack76

If the above doesn't work, try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

Jul 2, 2017 1:26 PM in response to billyjack76

Among other things, an incorrect system date and time can cause that message to occur. Confirm your Mac's time and date are correct: macOS Sierra: Date & Time System Preferences.

Confirm that you are not now, nor have you ever used, any number of so-called "cleaning" products. Those things are agressively advertised scams that are as popular as they are destructive.

Jul 19, 2017 1:58 AM in response to billyjack76

I have same exact problem. First the reoccuring error of incorrect keychain popped up (i had to delete keychain folders), than my hard drive was full so I deleted some files and also removed other user to free up some additional space. That had started all the weird things happening. I couldnt launch any program and upon restarting computer I was not able to start any aplication because of the error "because it may be demaged or incomplete".

I found this thread and but I have not yet tried the method marked as solved.

Re: El Capitan: You can't open the application 'app name' because it may be damaged or incomplete

Jul 4, 2017 6:41 PM in response to Eric Root

I had already created a second admin account which did not have the same issue. Unfortunately, when I tried to copy my data across to the newer account the permissions were somehow scrambled and I now have a 400+GB photos library living in limbo. However, though the problem is not the same with the second account other interesting quirks have presented. For example, when trying to open some video files (.mov and .mp4) the system tries to verify the file the same way as it does when first opening an app not downloaded from the AppStore, eventually denying it open saying that it can be sure of its security due to it being dl'd from an unidentified developer even though they were recorded using the iSight camera on my MBPro.

Oct 1, 2017 2:17 PM in response to billyjack76

Have also got exactly the same issue on by 5K Retina iMac. Updated some stuff yesterday and have been working in photoshop all day with no issues until I just exported a photo... and the hard drive was extremely full (Only maybe 350mb available).

Luckily I think i have managed to transfer all my files and finder was working, but EVERYTHING including System Pref was unable to be launched.

Would also like to mention the first symptom here was an issue with Keychain which wanted me to reset it... all went downhill extremely quickly from there.

Trying to re-install the operating system and start from scratch... Will update and see if at least something is salvageable

I can't open ANY application from finder because it may be " damaged or incomplete" which is not the case as they open occasionally from other apps.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.