Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

XServe G4 with PCI-X Fibre Channel Card doesn't Work

Hi there!

We got a PCI-X Fibre Channel Card from Apple in our XServe G4 (First Modell). The Card can be seen in the System Profiler but we can't access the XServe RAID which is connected to the Card. We tried to do all settings by hand and tried Point-to-Point and AL but it wont help. After a couple of reboots we could use it with the Disk Utility but we cant delete it. The utility crashes after a couple of hours.

Can anybody help us?

Philip

Xserve G4, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Jan 4, 2007 6:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2007 7:05 AM

plaetzchen-

What physical hardware is between the XServe and the RAID?

My guess is bad cable or switch.

Luck-

-DaddyPaycheck
10 replies

Jan 4, 2007 9:44 AM in response to plaetzchen

What does the Fibre Channel Utility say?

It's a simple tool but does it:
1) Show the card
2) Report the ports as "up" and give a speed?

It seems that if it's doing those things the card is okay and you could look further downstream. Any chance you have a fibre switch or something else you can plug it into just as a test of the card/cable keeping the RAID out of it for now?

=Tod

G5/2.0x2, Dual XServes x2, XRAID, beige G3 501Mhz

Jan 4, 2007 10:06 AM in response to plaetzchen

My apologies. As mentioned before my memory is not so good and I was trying to get oriented to the product.

The information that you are looking for is in the document provided. Apparently either full length slot will give you the bandwidth. I do believe that the bus will kick down to whatever the slowest speed card installed can handle.

Luck-

-DaddyPaycheck

XServe G4 with PCI-X Fibre Channel Card doesn't Work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.