Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I forgot to pay for my iCloud storage, what happens to my data/files?

If I for some reason I forget to pay for my iCloud storage plan (or unable to pay due to holidays, etc), what happens to my data, photos, files, etc?

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Jul 4, 2017 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2017 8:22 AM

iCloud Storage is automatically charged to the Payment method on file for your account. So there's no possiblility of you forgetting to pay for it.

If however, your payment method cannot be charged and there is not enough iTunes Credit in your account to cover the cost of the storage then:

If Apple is unable to successfully charge your credit card or payment account for fees due, Apple reserves the right to revoke or restrict access to your stored Content, delete your stored Content, or terminate your Account.

Read more here:

Legal - iCloud - Apple

There is a time buffer between not being able to charge and deletion or removal of files, however, the time it takes is not known so don't rely on it.

You should make sure your payment method can be charged on the date of the renewal, or that there is enough iTunes credit to cover it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2017 8:22 AM in response to Wantris

iCloud Storage is automatically charged to the Payment method on file for your account. So there's no possiblility of you forgetting to pay for it.

If however, your payment method cannot be charged and there is not enough iTunes Credit in your account to cover the cost of the storage then:

If Apple is unable to successfully charge your credit card or payment account for fees due, Apple reserves the right to revoke or restrict access to your stored Content, delete your stored Content, or terminate your Account.

Read more here:

Legal - iCloud - Apple

There is a time buffer between not being able to charge and deletion or removal of files, however, the time it takes is not known so don't rely on it.

You should make sure your payment method can be charged on the date of the renewal, or that there is enough iTunes credit to cover it.

If I forgot to pay for my iCloud storage, what happens to my data/files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.