Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where did the "delete after import" option go?

There used to be an option [when importing photos from iPhone to Apple Photos] to automatically delete the photos from phone after import, but I don't see it anymore. Does anyone know what happened, or if there's a way to select that option somewhere else?

Also, if I have "iCloud Photo Library" and "Optimize iPhone Storage" selected on my iPhone 6s, does that mean my imported photos are safely in my desktop's Apple Photos and I can delete them from my phone? I am nervous about deleting them because, when I click the PHOTOS app on my iPhone, it looks like the photos go back many years. The old iphone iOS had a "Camera Roll" where I knew I could delete those particular photos and not worry about deleting my entire image library.

I have been a diehard Apple user since the beginning but the last couple of years I have grown increasingly frustrated with Apple products. It seems like they're making things harder on users, rather than easier. I loved iPhoto - then they ditched it for the oversimplified Photos, which I think is much less user friendly.

iPhone 6s, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Jul 4, 2017 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2017 7:34 AM

Hi misalodesign ,

I understand that you no longer see the option to delete photos from your device after you've imported them to your computer. I'm happy to provide some help for this.

You do not see this option because you have iCloud Photo Library enabled on your devices. Since you have iCloud Photo Library and Optimize iPhone Storage enabled, all of your photos are stored in iCloud. Note that deleting a photo from one device will delete it from your iCloud Photo Library.

With Optimize Storage, smaller, space-saving photos and videos are kept on your device while all of your original, full-resolution versions are stored in iCloud. And as long as you have enough space in iCloud, you can store as many photos and videos as you want.

Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support

You can read more about iCloud Photo Library here:

Get help with your iCloud Photo Library - Apple Support

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2017 7:34 AM in response to misalodesign

Hi misalodesign ,

I understand that you no longer see the option to delete photos from your device after you've imported them to your computer. I'm happy to provide some help for this.

You do not see this option because you have iCloud Photo Library enabled on your devices. Since you have iCloud Photo Library and Optimize iPhone Storage enabled, all of your photos are stored in iCloud. Note that deleting a photo from one device will delete it from your iCloud Photo Library.

With Optimize Storage, smaller, space-saving photos and videos are kept on your device while all of your original, full-resolution versions are stored in iCloud. And as long as you have enough space in iCloud, you can store as many photos and videos as you want.

Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support

You can read more about iCloud Photo Library here:

Get help with your iCloud Photo Library - Apple Support

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Where did the "delete after import" option go?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.