Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WHat is the apple disk image, and how can I delete it?

I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro that I am wiping for a family member so that they can sell it. It was connected to care patient data at one point so I want to make sure it's good and clean before we sell it. So I booted under Disk Utility and wiped the "Internal Drive" by going to erase and setting the security options.

But there is a drive under "Disk Images" called "Apple disk image Media" with "OS X Base System" under it, using 1.27 GB with 728 MB free. Just wondering what this is, and if it would have info on it? How can I delete it? I don't see any way to erase it and it isn't mentioned in any of the guides I've read.

The Mac did have Boot Camp on it, which I deleted through the OS. Not sure if it's related.

Posted on Jul 5, 2017 6:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2017 6:41 PM

That's the recovery partition.

If you upgraded the Mac's firmware to use Apple's Internet Recovery system, restart into that if you haven't already, and leave the partition as is.

If not, you need to use an install DVD to perform the erasure. Rysz's link doesn't cover this case.

(151962)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2017 6:41 PM in response to georgek154

That's the recovery partition.

If you upgraded the Mac's firmware to use Apple's Internet Recovery system, restart into that if you haven't already, and leave the partition as is.

If not, you need to use an install DVD to perform the erasure. Rysz's link doesn't cover this case.

(151962)

WHat is the apple disk image, and how can I delete it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.