Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IDVD hangs at encoding assets

Hi there, been trying to burn a dual layer disc with nearly 4 hours of video and menus (I have used IDVD to burn 20+ dvds in this style in the past). Since upgrading to Sierra and throughout 2017 I have not been able to complete a single disc anymore.

The menus encode just fine, but when the burn process reaches the asset encoding of the videos it will eventually stall out to the rotating pinwheel and in activity monitor it will say program is not responding. I've IDVD to struggle for 12+ hours with no progress being made. No matter what settings I use it will always stall in the asset encoding section. Is there anything I can do to make Idvd work like it used to again? If i try to save a disc image it will stall in the asset encoding section as well.

Posted on Jul 6, 2017 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2017 2:12 PM

Have you edited any of the videos in the project after they were added to the project? If so create a new project with the same assets and try again.

Follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

User uploaded file

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2017 2:12 PM in response to ZonateFever

Have you edited any of the videos in the project after they were added to the project? If so create a new project with the same assets and try again.

Follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

User uploaded file

Nov 16, 2017 12:27 AM in response to jabsutherland

Try creating a new iDVD project. Then go back to iMovie and share out your movie at 480 or 540. Drag the newly shared movie into iDVD. Try to burn again. I had the same issue as you, and the above solved it for me.

It seems that 720 and 1080 movies cause rendering problems with iDVD, that was designed for 480 movies. iDVD will render a hi def movie to 480 but has trouble doing the rendering to reduce it to 480. iMovie can do a better job at the rendering, so you want to share out at 480 or, if not available as a sharing option, then share at 540. You won't lose any quality doing that, because, as I said, iDVD will reduce your hi def to 480 anyway.

-- Rich

IDVD hangs at encoding assets

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.