Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Time Capsule be used as wireless extender?

Can a single airport utility (Time Capsule 2TB) be used as a wireless range extender, like the wireless, remotely-located, plug-in models (Netgear, Linksys, etc)? The setup guide only shows options that require at least one wired base station. I only have one unit, and I am not considering buying more at this time. I'd like to have the Airport on the second floor (with a media/backup Server connected) to extend the wifi signal from the first floor. Note: Cable runs are not an option in my house. Thanks.

Time Capsule 2TB-OTHER, PN: MD032LL/A Model: A1409

Posted on Jul 7, 2017 2:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2017 7:25 PM

Can a single airport utility (Time Capsule 2TB) be used as a wireless range extender, like the wireless, remotely-located, plug-in models (Netgear, Linksys, etc)?

Yes and no.

Yes, if the Time Capsule will be connecting to a network that is provided by another Apple wireless router.

Most likely no, if the Time Capsule will be connecting to a third party wireless router.......since Apple has designed their "extend" feature to be proprietary....and only work with other Apple routers. There might be some compatible routers out there that will work.....but I have yet to find one.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2017 7:25 PM in response to Ricanz1

Can a single airport utility (Time Capsule 2TB) be used as a wireless range extender, like the wireless, remotely-located, plug-in models (Netgear, Linksys, etc)?

Yes and no.

Yes, if the Time Capsule will be connecting to a network that is provided by another Apple wireless router.

Most likely no, if the Time Capsule will be connecting to a third party wireless router.......since Apple has designed their "extend" feature to be proprietary....and only work with other Apple routers. There might be some compatible routers out there that will work.....but I have yet to find one.

Jul 7, 2017 10:16 PM in response to Ricanz1

With a Fios router, you will need to plan to connect the Time Capsule using a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection.

If you cannot run the Ethernet cable, a pair of Ethernet over Powerline adapters might be able to send the signal over the existing AC wiring in your home. The theory with these devices is that you already have the wiring in place......you just need the adapters.

Can Time Capsule be used as wireless extender?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.