Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch randomly refreshing/rebooting

Hi, I love the Apple Watch and I had my Apple Watch since November 2015, (because I got the Apple Watch for my birthday), and again I love my Apple Watch but I noticed that sometimes my Apple Watch refreshes/reboots at random times and then I lose whatever I had on the screen and I seem to notice that more like especially when I workout at the YMCA because I use the Apple Watch to track my workouts, (which is what I love using the Apple Watch for, and I will love the Apple Watch even more when the gym equipments and Apple Watch sync better the information to each other in a more efficient way later this year), but like I said I noticed my Apple Watch sometimes would refreshes/reboots randomly because like I said I set the Apple Watch to track my workout and in the middle of my workout session the Apple Watch refreshes/reboots randomly because on the screen I see the Apple logo and then when the Apple Watch is done randomly refreshes/reboot the workout that the Apple Watch was tracking is gone, it didn't even save a part of the workout, the whole workout that the Apple Watch was tracking is gone like I didn't even go into the workout app and press start in the first place so when I saw that I was thinking to myself so my Apple Watch didn't count my workout because of that random refresh/reboot so that was a waste of time, so why does the Apple Watch sometimes randomly refreshes/reboots?

Posted on Jul 8, 2017 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2017 6:56 AM

Hi

It is not normal for your Apple Watch to restart itself randomly.

The following steps may help (check after each):

Check that you are not accidentally force restarting your Apple Watch:

• If your watch is worn too close to your hand, the Digital Crown and side button may be pressed and held down by the back of your hand when flexing your wrist.
  • It may help to wear your watch a little further up your arm and/or with the buttons on the other side:
    • To change the configuration: on your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > General > Watch Orientation > choose the preferred wrist and side for the buttons.

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

Restart both your iPhone and your Apple Watch:

Unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch:

• The Watch app on your iPhone takes a backup of your watch automatically when unpairing via the app.
  • Initially choose to Restore from Backup during set up (most data and settings will be restored, with some exceptions, such as Apple Pay cards, passcode).
  • If the issue persists, try unpairing and setting up as a new watch, monitoring performance as you add third party apps and/or watch face complications back to your Apple Watch.
  • Unpair your Apple Watch and iPhone - Apple Support
  • Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If the issue then persists, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2017 6:56 AM in response to Kendall231

Hi

It is not normal for your Apple Watch to restart itself randomly.

The following steps may help (check after each):

Check that you are not accidentally force restarting your Apple Watch:

• If your watch is worn too close to your hand, the Digital Crown and side button may be pressed and held down by the back of your hand when flexing your wrist.
  • It may help to wear your watch a little further up your arm and/or with the buttons on the other side:
    • To change the configuration: on your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > General > Watch Orientation > choose the preferred wrist and side for the buttons.

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

Restart both your iPhone and your Apple Watch:

Unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch:

• The Watch app on your iPhone takes a backup of your watch automatically when unpairing via the app.
  • Initially choose to Restore from Backup during set up (most data and settings will be restored, with some exceptions, such as Apple Pay cards, passcode).
  • If the issue persists, try unpairing and setting up as a new watch, monitoring performance as you add third party apps and/or watch face complications back to your Apple Watch.
  • Unpair your Apple Watch and iPhone - Apple Support
  • Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If the issue then persists, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Apple Watch randomly refreshing/rebooting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.