Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Mail app always open at the same email on iPad?

I've seen this post before in 2015, on my Ipad with ios 10.3.2 when starting the mail app it allways starts with an email from a year ago. Really annoying to scroll back to the top, each time. Yes, did reset the ipad, latest version ios, nothing resolves it. When deleting the email, another one takes its place, almost just as old.

Posted on Jul 8, 2017 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2017 3:25 AM

Hi, I too read the posts of the same issue from 2015 with >700 user reports. I helped a friend with an iPad on iOS 11.x and got a good result through these steps:

1. Confirm issue exists by opening mail app and seing old email.
  2. Fully closed the mail app; dbl click home and swipe mail app up off screen.
  3. Open mail app and see issue again, select a different email and repeat step 2.
  4. Open mail app and original email is selected despite being closed with another email selected.
  5. Moved the ‘stuck’ email that the mail app opened every time to the archive folder.
  6. Repeat step 2.
  7. Reopen mail app, it shows a different but still old email...
  8. Select the first email in inbox.
  9. Repeat step 2.
  10. Reopen mail and confirm it opens with first email.
  11. Reboot iPad; hold power and home till it turns off. Press power till it powers on.
  12. Repeat step 10.
  13. Select a different email, repeat step 2, open mail app and confirm last selected email loads.

Long winded explanation and maybe not all needed but wanted to explain it thoroughly as it worked and haven’t found another solution.

I hope it helps someone.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2017 3:25 AM in response to Ritzie_nl

Hi, I too read the posts of the same issue from 2015 with >700 user reports. I helped a friend with an iPad on iOS 11.x and got a good result through these steps:

1. Confirm issue exists by opening mail app and seing old email.
  2. Fully closed the mail app; dbl click home and swipe mail app up off screen.
  3. Open mail app and see issue again, select a different email and repeat step 2.
  4. Open mail app and original email is selected despite being closed with another email selected.
  5. Moved the ‘stuck’ email that the mail app opened every time to the archive folder.
  6. Repeat step 2.
  7. Reopen mail app, it shows a different but still old email...
  8. Select the first email in inbox.
  9. Repeat step 2.
  10. Reopen mail and confirm it opens with first email.
  11. Reboot iPad; hold power and home till it turns off. Press power till it powers on.
  12. Repeat step 10.
  13. Select a different email, repeat step 2, open mail app and confirm last selected email loads.

Long winded explanation and maybe not all needed but wanted to explain it thoroughly as it worked and haven’t found another solution.

I hope it helps someone.

Apr 25, 2018 10:14 PM in response to ITBlakeD

Totally amazed how you worked this out. Followed your instructions but left out steps 1-4 which simple seem to be confirming the problem. Steps 12 and 13 confirm that the problem has been solved. Thank you very much, as time has gone by the amount of scrolling need to get to the latest email has been becoming increasingly frustrating.

Feb 12, 2018 7:07 AM in response to Rysz

I’m using iOS 11.2.5 now and still have the problem. I first noticed it early last Fall. It was stuck on a travel itinerary for about three months, then one day it decided to get stuck on a different email (a more recent travel itinerary). I deleted that email this morning and now it’s stuck on the email immediately proceeding the one I deleted. Tons af fun...

Why does Mail app always open at the same email on iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.