You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screen sharing no audio

Why might there be no audio when I screen share with my friend? I can hear them, they cannot hear me. Their volume is turned on and high enough.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3), macOS Sierra (10.12.2), null

Posted on Jul 9, 2017 2:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2017 5:11 AM

I checked all the audio setting and they are correct. We did some testing and I think the issue may be that we try to screen share while we are on FaceTime. The audio is gone when the screen sharing connects. When we start screen sharing and FaceTime is disconnected, then audio works.

3 replies

Jul 11, 2017 1:29 PM in response to Bruce Kieffer

Hi,

yes the mic will only work with one app at a time in normal circumstances.

When Screen Sharing was part of Messages (and before that iChat) then the Audio alongside the Screen Share made it clear that the app was using a VNC connections fro sharing the Desktop but using an Audio Only chat at the same time.

The Screen Sharing App now has the Audio included but if you have another app already using it you will get no Audio.

There are apps that will allow you to "share" the Audio/Mic input between several apps.

Soundflower Rogue Amoeba | Soundflower was one but the development has stalled.

I seem to have forgotten the names of others and a quick browse of the App Store did not shed any light.

User uploaded file

9:29 pm Tuesday; July 11, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

Jul 10, 2017 12:21 PM in response to Bruce Kieffer

Hi,

Go to System Preferences > Sound > Input and check the correct Input device is selected and the the Volume is high enough to the right without banging in to the end.

If it is banging into the end your volume is effectively to high and the OS will cut in to stop feedback.

If you use external Firewire items with Sound input then you may also need to look at Applications/Utilities and the Audio Midi set up app. The input rate needs to be either the 41000 or the 48k one.

User uploaded file

8:21 pm Monday; July 10, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

screen sharing no audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.