Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cMP and working Large TB SATA Drives List

Hi all,

After a complete nightmare with a WD 6TB drive and now also finding similar "only mounts on cold boot" issues reported on my second choice Ultrastar He8 Helium 8TB I wanted to start a thred to record cMP working large drives.

Could anyone with large TB data drive post the exact model + Size feel (free to drop some geeky performance stats but I can find them on my own)

Thanks for you time hope this is a helpful thread to start 🙂

Mac Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.4), MacPro 2010

Posted on Jul 10, 2017 3:54 PM

6 replies

Jul 11, 2017 9:43 PM in response to slrxm94

Both WD Red 6TB and WD Red 8TB work flawlessly on my cMP (2009, flashed to 5,1). Bootable (from itself, other HDD / SDD on native SATA ports, or SSD / HDD on Sonnet Tempo SSD PCIe SATA III card), no mount issue. However, only the 6TB has the standard physical mount point which fit the HDD tray. The 8TB only has 2 mount points fit, it's ok to put that in bay one, and let it lie on the PCIe fan (to play safe, I put some soft material in between to absorb the vibration).

Stock Apple HD4870, Sapphire 7950 Mac Edition, slef flashed R9 280, non flashed R9 380. All bootable, so it seems GPU / EFI wont affect the bootability / operation of the HDD.

Jul 12, 2017 12:43 PM in response to Martin LO

For the benefit of everyone OWC sell replacement drive sleds for the 2009, 2010, and 2012 Mac Pro models. These claim to support the new screw hole locations for newer bigger drives.

See OWC Hard Drive Sled / Bracket for Mac Pro... in stock at MacSales.com

Note: The built-in drive bays will still only be SATA II. For the above Mac Pro models it is possible to get a PCIe SATA III card and another different type of drive sled which gives SATA III. However I do not know for sure if these have all the new screw holes. For a suitable PCIe SATA card see PCI Express 2.0 SATA III RAID Card | Mini-SAS SFF-8087 Connector | StarTech.com United Kingdom for the drive sleds and special fan-out cable see http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_I D=189&ParentCat=414 This may not be available anymore I got mine via eBay. The StarTech card supports booting - even for Boot Camp and Windows.

cMP and working Large TB SATA Drives List

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.