Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clicking/popping when opening MBP lid

As I open the lid of my MacBook Pro it makes a sort of pop or click noise. I don't think it's the same popping issue that lots of people were reporting with the 2016 models as it doesn't happen randomly when I'm using the computer - only as the lid is being opened. Is this normal or should it be silent when you open the lid? The longer the MacBook has been sitting closed the louder the sound is when I open the lid. It sound like it's coming from the hinge.

It's a 2017 MacBook Pro 15 inch and I just bought it yesterday.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.4), null

Posted on Jul 11, 2017 8:18 AM

6 replies

Aug 3, 2017 12:00 PM in response to atticustayar

Just spoke with apple support and they spoke sense. Exactly what my friend told me about my noise - the rubber seal creates a perfect seal, the little pop/click is that seal breaking when you open it sometimes. You may notice it happen every time if you apply pressure on the top (pushing the rubber seal down) then open it. Nothing to be concerned about.

Aug 3, 2017 12:12 PM in response to BKEdwards

That's interesting to hear. I took mine in yesterday to an Apple Store and they looked at it and said it was normal. I've had a a couple of exchanged before this one and not all of them clicked when you opened the lid. Maybe it's due to how strong the magnet is. However the clicking on the first one I had was definitely coming from the hinge because I could carefully open it just slightly so that the magnet was released then open it further after that and the click came after the magnet was released. I think there may be more than one issue here and varying degrees of severity.

Clicking/popping when opening MBP lid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.