Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backups using Western Digital WD Backup vs. Transcend Elite

Hello,

I have run into a problem such that I cannot take backups on my Transcend external disk using their ‘Transcend Elite’ app with the same efficiency that I could and can using my Western Digital external disk using their ‘WD Backup’ app.

Concisely, I cannot do progressive delta backups using ‘Transcend Elite.’ Its manual does not indicate any such feature.

I can create a new task but that’s not what I want to do at all; I want to back up a delta off selected directories of my HDD in a subdirectory within my root-level task directory (just as I used to do and still do on my WD external drive), and then do so again and again.

Using ‘WD Backup’ one can choose ‘Advanced,’ select the dirs one wants to back up, choose the ‘only those files that have changed’ (or some such thing) option, and it works like a charm. On the external disk you can create a root-level directory with a YYYY-MM-DD subdir which contains a base set of your tree structure, and then any number of YYYY-MM-DD subdirs (at the same level of course) containing the deltas of the tree (which itself may change) at the same root. (This gives one a series of point-in-time snapshots. It also makes even a manual restore easy to accomplish.)

I cannot see any way to accomplish the same backup method using Transcend. If I run the same task as-is, it appears that it will overwrite the existing file structure on the backup disk (and this is not what one wants). If I modify the existing tasks’s destination directory, well, it will back up everything quite needlessly. I cannot find a delta backup option by any name.

Is there any way to do tree-based delta backups rooted in a root-level dir on a Transcend external disk?

Thanks for any help,

kds-kds

MacBook, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Jul 11, 2017 11:17 AM

1 reply

Backups using Western Digital WD Backup vs. Transcend Elite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.