Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How To Lock Keyboard

My kitten loves to sleep and walk on my keyboard on my MacBook pro. I want to be able to continue watching lectures or videos on my computer while he sleeps or walks on the keyboard. Are there any apps or shortcuts that'll let me do this? I have seen apps that lock the whole screen with the keyboard (i.e. keyboard cleaner), which is not what I need. I still need the computer screen to work, but I want the keyboard just locked.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), 10.11.3

Posted on Jul 11, 2017 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2017 3:33 PM

One possible solution involves using an external display - then you could close the

MacBook while the external display stays on. Then, to keep an external keyboard

from being keyed, turn it upside down.

Other ideas I've thought, don't pan out once other aspects of the Mac and its OS

are put into perspective. (The settings for Accessibility, such as mouse keys, etc.)

Those 'other settings' don't necessarily over-ride the built-in keyboard or trackpad.

The kitty may need to have a warm heat pad for a comfort zone. And, may not like

the second-class treatment; being away from the screen & not in your line-of-sight.

Sorry to have so few ideas in this matter...

Good luck & happy trails! 🙂

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2017 3:33 PM in response to janeexox

One possible solution involves using an external display - then you could close the

MacBook while the external display stays on. Then, to keep an external keyboard

from being keyed, turn it upside down.

Other ideas I've thought, don't pan out once other aspects of the Mac and its OS

are put into perspective. (The settings for Accessibility, such as mouse keys, etc.)

Those 'other settings' don't necessarily over-ride the built-in keyboard or trackpad.

The kitty may need to have a warm heat pad for a comfort zone. And, may not like

the second-class treatment; being away from the screen & not in your line-of-sight.

Sorry to have so few ideas in this matter...

Good luck & happy trails! 🙂

Jul 12, 2017 10:49 AM in response to janeexox

There are a few ideas together in this article, including 'mouse-keys'

and remapping others to remain inactive; that may be too involved...

Mac Kung Fu: Cat-proofing a MacBook keyboard

http://www.mackungfu.org/cat-proofing-a-macbook-keyboard

Tapping the option key five times among other antics does work

for a few items, even the trackpad input. I've not tried it, though.

Disable trackpad for extended typing sessions | Macworld

http://www.macworld.com/article/1136275/os-x/trackpadoff.html

A few results from a search don't quite match the sought-after meaning.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=disable+keyboard+input+MacBook+Pro&t=ffsb&ia=qa

Anyway, the kitty needs a pre-occupation. Maybe there's a 'keyboarding for cats'

course that would engage and keep the character busy enough to justify getting

the kitty a mac of its own? Then s/he could send text or video chat to friend cats.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

How To Lock Keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.