Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (13 inch, mid 2012) Bootcamp issuesMacBook Pro (13 inch, mid 2012) Bootcamp issues

Hi, I recently reformatted my MacBook Pro because I had been having issues with Bootcamp. Whenever I try to boot Windows (Bootcamp) holding the Option key to select the drive it takes like 2 min until the drives show up but then the Windows partition boots just fine, my problem is after that when I reboot and try to boot the macOS Sierra partition. What happens is that after reboot, it doesn't matter if I hold the Option key or not to boot into macOS, a prohibitory sign always pops up, some times the systems boots after that but others it doesn't boot at all... By the away i am using a Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB for macOS and a mechanical 80GB hard drive for Windows and the SSD is using a adapter so that I can have both drives in the MacBook.

NOTE: I don't know if it has anything to do with the EFI that causes some conflict with the HDD being in the primary drive slot and before I reformatted I had the same issues ever since I had dual drives but when I had Windows and macOS installed on the same drive i didn't have any issues.

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Jul 11, 2017 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2017 3:40 AM

I can't do this when I boot the Windows 7 installation usb and Select "Repair this computer" it says that the disk is not compatible with the installed version of Windows ...

I opted instead of installing Windows in separate drive I installed it on the same drive as macOS and formatted the other drive as a DATA partition so I can install all my programs in there and I can store multiple files from either Windows or macOS

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2017 3:40 AM in response to Loner T

I can't do this when I boot the Windows 7 installation usb and Select "Repair this computer" it says that the disk is not compatible with the installed version of Windows ...

I opted instead of installing Windows in separate drive I installed it on the same drive as macOS and formatted the other drive as a DATA partition so I can install all my programs in there and I can store multiple files from either Windows or macOS

Jul 11, 2017 7:51 PM in response to BLaCk9404

You will see issues with Windows in the Optibay. It is better to have it in the main bay. I have tried an EVO in a 2012 13-in MBP and had many issues. I switched to a 840 Pro and 850 Pro in two different 2012 models and they work fine with the drives in the main bay.

Check the link speed and negotiated speed of the two drives in macOS System Report. The Optibay link is slower which can point to the prohibitory sign in macOS.

Also, check both the SATA cables. There are some cases of cable failures.

MacBook Pro (13 inch, mid 2012) Bootcamp issuesMacBook Pro (13 inch, mid 2012) Bootcamp issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.