Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restrict application volume control

Is there any way to block the ability of applications like Skype to adjust sound volume of Mac? It not good to have volume muted, and suddenly hear some sounds.

Actually I would think that according to basic logic, no application should be allowed to mess with the system volume. If it's muted, it should remain muted no matter what individual application may want. Maybe there is a possibility to completely restrict applications messing with volume controls?

Thanks.

Posted on Jul 11, 2017 11:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2017 7:29 PM

I thought I explained it very very clearly but I will try again..

My understanding of "system volume control" - app may adjust it's sound output but after it leaves the app, it still passes through the "global" or "system" volume control. So, if "system volume", is muted, no app should be able to make any sound. Something like what a mechanical volume control knob would do. I could be wrong but I believe that's what everybody's understanding of "system volume" should be.

In reality - system sound is "muted", volume icon in the menu bar indicate that. Start a Skype call, and it makes it's ring sound, then you can hear a conversation, and system sound icon in the menu bar shows volume increased (without manually adjusting anything!).

End the Skype call, and volume (system volume!!!) automatically returns back to "muted".

As far as I understand, it cannot be changed by any setting in Skype (and confirmed by Skype support chat, it's just how Skype works, and they think it's correct), sound output is "same as system", notification sounds are disabled, and there are no other settings.

Now, it seems obvious that OS allows application Skype to mess with the "global" volume control which is a nonsense in my understanding. Computer with system volume muted, should make no sound, ever. However, like everything in macOS, there probably is a setting somewhere which can allow/disallow this.

Skype is an example, even it's so far the only application I have noticed violating the system volume setting.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2017 7:29 PM in response to Lexiepex

I thought I explained it very very clearly but I will try again..

My understanding of "system volume control" - app may adjust it's sound output but after it leaves the app, it still passes through the "global" or "system" volume control. So, if "system volume", is muted, no app should be able to make any sound. Something like what a mechanical volume control knob would do. I could be wrong but I believe that's what everybody's understanding of "system volume" should be.

In reality - system sound is "muted", volume icon in the menu bar indicate that. Start a Skype call, and it makes it's ring sound, then you can hear a conversation, and system sound icon in the menu bar shows volume increased (without manually adjusting anything!).

End the Skype call, and volume (system volume!!!) automatically returns back to "muted".

As far as I understand, it cannot be changed by any setting in Skype (and confirmed by Skype support chat, it's just how Skype works, and they think it's correct), sound output is "same as system", notification sounds are disabled, and there are no other settings.

Now, it seems obvious that OS allows application Skype to mess with the "global" volume control which is a nonsense in my understanding. Computer with system volume muted, should make no sound, ever. However, like everything in macOS, there probably is a setting somewhere which can allow/disallow this.

Skype is an example, even it's so far the only application I have noticed violating the system volume setting.

Jul 13, 2017 8:53 PM in response to ron App

1. Detour is no longer under development. In addition, there is less probability that it works in Mac OS X10.5+ versions.
  2. Hear is a rather expensive utility ($49.95) and has a number of other audio "Pro" features.
  3. Jack is a low-latency audio server written originally for GNU/Linux and I believe can change volume on a per-application basis. In addition, this is available for completely free of cost.

Jul 12, 2017 2:35 AM in response to Lexiepex

Thanks, I have those settings but they are useless.

Regardless any settings, if sound on my MBP is muted, Skype during the call increases volume, so the only solution is to plug in the headphones. OS should not allow app to bypass muted volume setting, and I believe you should be able to restrict it with some hidden system setting.

Jul 12, 2017 2:53 AM in response to ron App

As I said the system volume is global: you set it in SystemPreferences->Sound and you can have the sound icon in the menu bar if you wish. If apps have to do differently you can set it there. Skype I showed you because mentioned Skype as an example. These audio settings (and don't forget the Notifications) work perfectly in Skype. If your system does not behave as expected there is probably something wrong, not a bug in the system. So you have to explain exactly what is wrong, and then we might be able to help you find the cause.

btw: it helps when you contain your temper.

Jul 12, 2017 11:42 PM in response to ron App

"So, if "system volume", is muted, no app should be able to make any sound. Something like what a mechanical volume control knob would do. I could be wrong but I believe that's what everybody's understanding of "system volume" should be."

Well as you have seen in the Skype settings, you can "override" the global system setting. I do not have any other example, maybe Facetime, Whatsapp or others too.. Whether you call it "violating" or not, that's what can happen.

How to restrict application volume control

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.