Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difference between Summing Stack and Folder Stack

What exactly is the difference between Summing Stack and Folder Stack? Why should I use a Folder Stack when I can use Summing Stack to both organize and submix my tracks? does it have anything to do with CPU usage?User uploaded file

Logic Pro X, macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on Jul 12, 2017 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2017 11:07 AM

It is interesting that most of the question here point to a basic problem with DAWs nowadays.

DAWs have become very powerful offering lots of features, some are easy to use some are more complex. The bottom line is that they are based on specific technology, audio technology in general and audio production in specific. This requires the knowledge and understanding of those technologies. BTW, that's why I call my book "Logic Pro X - How it Works" and not "Logic Pro X - Which Button to Press".

The discussion about Track Stacks is a good example. In order to use that feature and understand the difference between a Summing Stack and a Folder Stack, you have to know how their underlying technology, an Audio Group and VCA Group, works. The question is not, which one to use or which one is better. The question is what do you want to achieve, or what tool do they provide to improve your mix/workflow.

You also wouldn't ask the question "what is better, a Reverb or a Delay Effect, which one should I use?"

Summing Stack

A Summing Stack is just Logic's rebranding of an Audio Group (plus some additions), and all the pros and cons of Audio Groups apply.

• You can apply FX Plugins to the Main Track that affects all the Subtracks because they are summed together on that Main Track (pro).
  • However, you wouldn't use the Volume Fader to adjust the summed volume if you have Aux Sends on individual Subtracks, because that would mess up your wet/dry balance (c
  • on)
  • A Summing Stack is a routing tool that has serious effects on your signal routing you have to pay attention to. Most of the time you use it the same way as you would use an Audio Group. You route the signal of multiple Tracks (i.e. all your drum tracks or all you backing vocal tracks) to a Main Track, so you can still adjust their relative volume on the Subtracks and the volume of all tracks on the Main Tracks where you can apply Effects and Sends to the summed signal.
  • You can also record MIDI on the Main Track (which is an Aux Track). This way you can build a Synth Stack of multiple Tracks and record only on the Main Track, which routes it s MIDI signal to all Subtracks.

Folder Stack

A Folder Stack is just Logic's rebranding of a VCA Group and all the pros and cons of VCA Groups apply.

• You can adjust the volume on the Main Track without affecting the wet/balance of any Aux Sends on the Subtracks because the MainTrack just applies a volume offset directly to the individual faders on the Subtracks (pro).
  • You cannot apply any Effects or Aux Sends on the Main Track, it is just a "remote-volume-offset" control (con).
  • The Folder Stack is more of an organizational tool without affecting any existing signal routing. For example, put all the Tracks of your individual Drum tracks into a Folder Stack and put all your backing vocal tracks into a Folder Stack and you can easily open and close those Subtracks with the disclosure triangle. This is especially useful in larger mixer setups.
  • You can place Summing Stacks inside a Folder Stack if you really want to get organized.

About the CPU question. I would think that a Summing Stack takes a few more CPU cycles because it is actually summing all those signals and provide additional processing on the Main Track. A Folder Stack on the other hand, just adds a dB offset to all the existing tracks.

To Summarize:

Stuff is complicated, study accordingly.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2017 11:07 AM in response to Solmaz S.

It is interesting that most of the question here point to a basic problem with DAWs nowadays.

DAWs have become very powerful offering lots of features, some are easy to use some are more complex. The bottom line is that they are based on specific technology, audio technology in general and audio production in specific. This requires the knowledge and understanding of those technologies. BTW, that's why I call my book "Logic Pro X - How it Works" and not "Logic Pro X - Which Button to Press".

The discussion about Track Stacks is a good example. In order to use that feature and understand the difference between a Summing Stack and a Folder Stack, you have to know how their underlying technology, an Audio Group and VCA Group, works. The question is not, which one to use or which one is better. The question is what do you want to achieve, or what tool do they provide to improve your mix/workflow.

You also wouldn't ask the question "what is better, a Reverb or a Delay Effect, which one should I use?"

Summing Stack

A Summing Stack is just Logic's rebranding of an Audio Group (plus some additions), and all the pros and cons of Audio Groups apply.

• You can apply FX Plugins to the Main Track that affects all the Subtracks because they are summed together on that Main Track (pro).
  • However, you wouldn't use the Volume Fader to adjust the summed volume if you have Aux Sends on individual Subtracks, because that would mess up your wet/dry balance (c
  • on)
  • A Summing Stack is a routing tool that has serious effects on your signal routing you have to pay attention to. Most of the time you use it the same way as you would use an Audio Group. You route the signal of multiple Tracks (i.e. all your drum tracks or all you backing vocal tracks) to a Main Track, so you can still adjust their relative volume on the Subtracks and the volume of all tracks on the Main Tracks where you can apply Effects and Sends to the summed signal.
  • You can also record MIDI on the Main Track (which is an Aux Track). This way you can build a Synth Stack of multiple Tracks and record only on the Main Track, which routes it s MIDI signal to all Subtracks.

Folder Stack

A Folder Stack is just Logic's rebranding of a VCA Group and all the pros and cons of VCA Groups apply.

• You can adjust the volume on the Main Track without affecting the wet/balance of any Aux Sends on the Subtracks because the MainTrack just applies a volume offset directly to the individual faders on the Subtracks (pro).
  • You cannot apply any Effects or Aux Sends on the Main Track, it is just a "remote-volume-offset" control (con).
  • The Folder Stack is more of an organizational tool without affecting any existing signal routing. For example, put all the Tracks of your individual Drum tracks into a Folder Stack and put all your backing vocal tracks into a Folder Stack and you can easily open and close those Subtracks with the disclosure triangle. This is especially useful in larger mixer setups.
  • You can place Summing Stacks inside a Folder Stack if you really want to get organized.

About the CPU question. I would think that a Summing Stack takes a few more CPU cycles because it is actually summing all those signals and provide additional processing on the Main Track. A Folder Stack on the other hand, just adds a dB offset to all the existing tracks.

To Summarize:

Stuff is complicated, study accordingly.

Jul 14, 2017 7:02 AM in response to Solmaz S.

Below is an excerpt from my book "Logic Pro X - How it Works" that has a entire chapter on Track Stacks.

Look at the diagrams and you will see the major difference.

Summing Stack creates an Aux Channel Strip (Aux Group or Audio Group) and all Channel Strips in that stack are routed to via a bus.

Folder Stack creates a VCA Master Fader that controls the Volume Fader of al the Channel Strips in that stack. (Of course you have to know the functionality of VCA Faders. Maybe this article will help http://logicprogem.com/LogicProGEM/Blog/Entries/2015/5/23_Entry_1.html)

Based on the different concepts of those two Track Stacks there are different scenarios when and how to use them, along with the different behavior. Read up on that topic, it is worth knowing and implementing it in your Logic Projects.

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Jul 12, 2017 11:32 PM in response to Solmaz S.

Hi Solmaz S.

I have searched the internet today for the answer and can find none!

Yes I can find the answers to the difference between a summing stack and folder stack, on videos and in Apple manuals etc, but I am the same as you, why not just use a summing stack??

The only thing I can think of is a Summing stack uses more CPU, but I cant find anywhere that says this!

I hope you can find the answer!

Jul 13, 2017 10:46 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

Thank you Edgar

Not trying to hijack the thread of Solmaz S!

Unfortunately I still do not understand why its not easier just to use a summing stack for more control!? I hope Solmaz does anyway!

BTW Edgar, your book Logic Pr xTips Tricks Secrets 1, arrived a couple of days back, it took nearly a month to arrive from Amazon, however, it was well worth the wait, I love the explanations and layout, like a comic, perfect for me! already I have learnt some great tips! Cheers!

Jul 13, 2017 11:58 AM in response to kerochan

kerochan wrote:

Thank you Edgar

Not trying to hijack the thread of Solmaz S!

Unfortunately I still do not understand why its not easier just to use a summing stack for more control!?

It is not the question about which one is easier. Summing Stacks and Folder Stacks are two different concepts for different purposes. It is like choosing a EQ Plugin over a Compressor Plugin because it is easier to use, you wouldn't do that either. You choose the Plugins (or Track Stack in this case) that provides the tools (type of routing and grouping in this case) that you want to use in your Project.

BTW Edgar, your book Logic Pr xTips Tricks Secrets 1, arrived a couple of days back, it took nearly a month to arrive from Amazon, however, it was well worth the wait, I love the explanations and layout, like a comic, perfect for me! already I have learnt some great tips! Cheers!

Did you order in the US? These are print on demand books that ship right away with the delivery method you use. With Amazon Prime I had it once delivered the next day.

Difference between Summing Stack and Folder Stack

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.