Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my Iphone keep leaving recovery mode when i connect to Itunes for a restore?

I have an Iphone 5s. Recently I went to change the password, which I ended up forgetting. I've tried to remember the code and have disabled my phone for 1 hour so far. I don't want to keep typing in the wrong password and disable my phone for days. So I've tried putting my phone into recovery mode and connecting it to Itunes in order to restore it. Every time the restore starts my phone will stay on the recovery mode screen, but after about 15 minutes it will go back to the lock screen and continue to say "Iphone is disabled for 1 hour." This also happens when I turn my phone off and back on. I need to get into my phone and I really don't know this password. Help!!

iPhone 5s, iOS 10.3.2

Posted on Jul 12, 2017 3:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2017 11:35 AM

What you're describing is normal and expected behavior. From:https://support.apple.com/kb/ht204306

User uploaded file

2 replies

Jul 13, 2017 7:27 AM in response to Dizzydy

Hello Dizzydy,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that you are trying to restore your iPhone due to a forgotten passcode but your iPhone is timing out while in recovery mode. What could be happening is that the time it is taking to download the software file is taking longer than 15 minutes which causes recovery mode to time out on your iPhone. The download of the iOS file should still be downloading in iTunes on your computer. If you wait for the download to finish and then put the iPhone into recovery mode and restore it the process should complete without timing out.

If you continue to have issues restoring your iPhone with iTunes the following article has some additional options on how to erase your iPhone:
If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

Best Regards.

Why does my Iphone keep leaving recovery mode when i connect to Itunes for a restore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.