Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are the active calories and the calories shown in the exercise portion separate or a combined total?

I'm curious if for instance I see my daily calories burned in red then I have my exercise calories, does the red number include the exercise calories or are they separate

Apple Watch Series 2

Posted on Jul 13, 2017 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2017 11:05 AM

The Activity app on Apple Watch runs automatically in the background, estimating results including all active and total calories burned, including during general daily wear and any workouts.

Active calories are reported via the Move ring in the Activity app (they include active calories burned during general daily wear and during any workouts) and can also be viewed via the companion Activity and Health apps on the paired iPhone.

Total calories (active calories + resting calories = total calories) can be viewed via the Activity app on your iPhone:

On your iPhone, in the Activity app, go to: History (tab) > select a day > scroll down to the Move chart > swipe left on the chart to view Total calories.

Active and Resting calories can also be viewed via the Health app on your iPhone:

On your iPhone, in the Health app, go to: Health Data (tab) > Activity > Active / Resting Energy.

More information:

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2017 11:05 AM in response to StacyNicole1972

The Activity app on Apple Watch runs automatically in the background, estimating results including all active and total calories burned, including during general daily wear and any workouts.

Active calories are reported via the Move ring in the Activity app (they include active calories burned during general daily wear and during any workouts) and can also be viewed via the companion Activity and Health apps on the paired iPhone.

Total calories (active calories + resting calories = total calories) can be viewed via the Activity app on your iPhone:

On your iPhone, in the Activity app, go to: History (tab) > select a day > scroll down to the Move chart > swipe left on the chart to view Total calories.

Active and Resting calories can also be viewed via the Health app on your iPhone:

On your iPhone, in the Health app, go to: Health Data (tab) > Activity > Active / Resting Energy.

More information:

Are the active calories and the calories shown in the exercise portion separate or a combined total?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.