Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro's fans spin loudly on BootCamp Windows 8.1

Hello Apple people,

Whenever I run BootCamp Windows 8.1, my MBP's fans are spinning like jet turbos. Is this normal for all old and new MBP models? I don't get this issue from Yosemite or Sierra and even if I run Adobe programs the fans don't spin as much as they do on Windows partition. My old MBP has less trouble overheating thanks to a new SSD. But the laptop will make awful fan noises when I switch back to Windows partition. It'll remain pretty darn noisy during the Windows update and regular software installation. Also my MBP overheats more often on Windows partition. I'm concerned about hardware components, such as the logic board and RAM, getting deteriorated due to the heat. The overheating is definitely not caused by accumulated dust (there's some dust hanging on the cooling fan duct but it's still not enough to cause any issue). Should I make some changes on the power setting by going to Control Panel -> Power plan-> Advanced power setting -> processor power management -> minimum processor state and then set it for around 5%? Someone mentioned these steps from an old BootCamp group forum. Does anyone have suggestions and recommendations? Are fan noise and overheating problems common for MBPs running on BootCamp Windows? Are these issues something related to BootCamp?

Thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.2), has Samsung 850 EVO SSD installed

Posted on Jul 13, 2017 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2017 10:18 PM

Hi thank you for replying.

I already did SMC reset a few days ago. In the power setting, I set processor minimum at 5% and maximum at 100%. Perhaps Windows OS tends to make MBP's fans to work harder because it's a 3rd party OS? People say macOS is better at keeping heat under control by saving more data in RAM and MBP's SMC is specifically designed for managing Mac's CPU performance? I'm not a geeky nerd so I don't really know whether those comments are true. I checked Windows CPU monitor but there's nothing much going on. I even changed the battery setting but still the battery seems to drain a little faster on Windows partition.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2017 10:18 PM in response to Loner T

Hi thank you for replying.

I already did SMC reset a few days ago. In the power setting, I set processor minimum at 5% and maximum at 100%. Perhaps Windows OS tends to make MBP's fans to work harder because it's a 3rd party OS? People say macOS is better at keeping heat under control by saving more data in RAM and MBP's SMC is specifically designed for managing Mac's CPU performance? I'm not a geeky nerd so I don't really know whether those comments are true. I checked Windows CPU monitor but there's nothing much going on. I even changed the battery setting but still the battery seems to drain a little faster on Windows partition.

MacBook Pro's fans spin loudly on BootCamp Windows 8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.