Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I reset my "unlock the disk Macintosh HD"?

Trying to get into a MAC Book pro I previously thought I had no access to, due to the grey screen of death. Rebooted it today, got to an enter password to unlock the hard drive screen. I forgot my password, since I changed it in previous rebooting attempts.

Posted on Jul 13, 2017 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2017 11:24 AM

Hello brianlandrytenor,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

I see that you are being prompted to enter a password to unlock the startup disk on your Mac. It's important to make sure that you can start up and log in to use and enjoy your Mac, so I'm happy to help out.

It sounds like you are referring to FileVault, which is a password protected feature that prevents unauthorized access to the information on your startup. You can try to reset your password by following the steps in support article: Use FileVault to encrypt the startup disk on your Mac , specifically:

Reset your password or change your FileVault recovery key

If you forget your account password or it doesn't work, you might be able to reset your password.

If you want to change the recovery key used to encrypt your startup disk, turn off FileVault in Security & Privacy preferences. You can then turn it on again to generate a new key and disable all older keys.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Cheers.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2017 11:24 AM in response to brianlandrytenor

Hello brianlandrytenor,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

I see that you are being prompted to enter a password to unlock the startup disk on your Mac. It's important to make sure that you can start up and log in to use and enjoy your Mac, so I'm happy to help out.

It sounds like you are referring to FileVault, which is a password protected feature that prevents unauthorized access to the information on your startup. You can try to reset your password by following the steps in support article: Use FileVault to encrypt the startup disk on your Mac , specifically:

Reset your password or change your FileVault recovery key

If you forget your account password or it doesn't work, you might be able to reset your password.

If you want to change the recovery key used to encrypt your startup disk, turn off FileVault in Security & Privacy preferences. You can then turn it on again to generate a new key and disable all older keys.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Cheers.

how can I reset my "unlock the disk Macintosh HD"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.