Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Application Support is 32bit on a 64bit operating system

I've been having problems loading iTunes on Windows 7Home premium.

I noticed that the Apple Application Support program has been installed as 32bit. The operating system is 64bit.

Is this normal?

Posted on Jul 15, 2017 2:28 AM

5 replies

Jul 15, 2017 3:37 AM in response to Redfern

The 64 bit version of iTunes should install both 32 & 64 bit versions of Apple Application Support.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Right-click on the setup file and run the installer as administrator. It may also help to pre-install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable. In some cases you may also need to disable any anti-virus software.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Jul 15, 2017 4:02 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for your response turingtest2.

would it hurt to try downloading the 64bit version of Apple Applicaiton Support separately?

This is the sixth time I've installed iTunes in the last few days and each time there is a different problem.

This pc had iTunes loaded successfully for a long time. However it's recently had the hard drive replaced. Not sure if this would be a factor

Jul 15, 2017 9:25 AM in response to turingtest2

After the first install I received advice that the Apple Application Support was missing. This happened twice. I tried re installing iTunes and selecting the repair option a couple of times but this didn't work.

I actually followed your advice from previous post and installed the Apple Application Support individually.

I then realised that I couldn't attach my iPad and received advice that the Mobile Device Support was missing. I uninstalled and re installed.

I thought that it had installed ok, my iPad attached properly but the next time I checked the pc it had shut down. After the restart iTunes wouldn't open and I received advice to uninstall and start again. However when I went to uninstall the program iTunes wasn't listed in the Installed Programs list.

I've now installed iTunes again and it seems to be ok but I noticed that there was only a 32 bit version of Application Support listed in Installed programs which is when I initiated this post.

Jul 15, 2017 9:48 AM in response to Redfern

Hmm, if ain't broke, then don't fix it, but on a successful installation of 64-bit iTunes Windows I'd expect to see two versions of Apple Application Support, Apple Mobile Device Support, Apple Software Update, Bonjour and iTunes. As given temporarily disabling anti-virus software and running the iTunes setup file as administrator may help to ensure that each component installs properly.

tt2

My Apple Application Support is 32bit on a 64bit operating system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.