Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs/Playlists won't Sync to iPod

New songs and revisions/additions to playlists will not sync to my iPod. No error messages. Newly purchased songs from itunes store will transfer only, but even their placement in playlists will not transfer. Music added from my computer (non itunes purchased) will not. Itunes and iPod are all updated to most current versions. Tried all the easy stuff. Given the fact that itunes purchased music will transfer, it can't be the easy fixes like USB cable, checking boxes, etc. Any ideas?

Posted on Jul 15, 2017 6:44 AM

8 replies

Jul 15, 2017 7:55 AM in response to brad2992

It sounds as though you use Sync to manage the content of your iPod (instead of Manually Manage).

Is your Sync between the iPod and iTunes set for Sync Entire Library (music) or is it set to Sync selected Playlists, Artists, Genres etc.? If it is set to Sync selected Playlists, then you need to make sure that each song is included in a Playlist that will be synchronised to your iPod.

Jul 15, 2017 2:00 PM in response to the fiend

All the songs 7,000+ of them have been on my iTunes and iPod for years. Most are ripped from old CDs of mine. ITunes, iPod and all music works just fine stand alone. Just no luck in any Playlists that are new or altered transfering when syncing between iPod and iTunes. It doesn't matter if it's an old ripped song that's been on there for years or a newly purchased song from iTunes, if I create a new playlist or alter a new one it will not transfer on sync. A newly purchased song will show up in artists but not in the playlist it's dropped in.

Jul 16, 2017 7:25 AM in response to the fiend

To un complicate the scenario, throw all the music type questions out the window. In theory I should be able to create a new playlist, name it and leave it empty and at the very least on an iPod sync the empty playlist should transfer over to the iPod. It won't even do that. This is the same process I've used for years on music that's been there for years on the same computer and iPod. No idea what's changed or why.

Jul 16, 2017 2:11 PM in response to brad2992

We've yet to see anyone else complaining of this issue.

That said, from everything you have said (expect that in your first post you stated that new songs didn't transfer and that they did - that's a bit confusing...), I wonder if you are making your changes while your iPod is connected to iTunes. If so, some changes may not be copied over to the iPod if the Sync has gone past that particular step in the process.

You mentioned about checking boxes so let's make it clear what happens and when: if you have the option to Sync only ticked songs and videos ticked (checked), then any non-ticked (un-checked) song will not be put onto your iPod by a Sync.

I was sceptical about empty playlists transferring to an iPod, but I've just tried it and the one I created did copy onto my iPod Classic. As a caveat that does not conclusively mean that such a list will transfer to every model of iPod - who knows?

You also stated: A newly purchased song will show up in artists but not in the playlist it's dropped in. Are you saying that it does not appear in the Playlist in your iTunes Library? If not, then sort that out first, but don't forget, if it's a Smart Playlist you cannot simply "put songs" into it. If it does appear in the Library version of the playlist, try a further Sync after you have made the change. Does it appear on the iPod now?

The question remains; why does this only happen to you? At the moment, the only thing I can think of is (as stated above) that if you connect your device to your computer and then make changes, don't be surprised if they don't all get copied to your iPod.

Jul 20, 2017 5:45 PM in response to the fiend

Sorry for the delay in getting back with you guys. I actually solved the problem by doing a complete factory restore on the ipod itself. I set it up as a new ipod and performed the first sync and it all transferred over. Then I added some new music, playlists and moved some music from playlist to playlist to test it out and it all works like normal now. Having said that it must have been the ipod or a bad software update on the ipod as nothing with itunes changed. Thanks again for the help guys.

Songs/Playlists won't Sync to iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.