Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contact Photos in Messages Not Showing

Recently switched to an iPhone 7 Plus and my contact photos in Messages aren't showing up. They are just grayed out with the person's initials. However when I go to a contact in the Contacts app it shows their photo. It's just not getting pulled into iMessage for some reason.

I've tried:

• Rebooting
  • Turning 'Show Contact Photos' on/off
  • Turning iMessage on/off
  • Turning my contacts from iCloud on/off
  • Signing in/out of iCloud
  • Device is already in Standard display mode (not Zoom)
  • Hard quitting Messages app

What else can I try?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 10.3.2

Posted on Jul 15, 2017 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2017 2:26 PM

Figured it out. I had contacts synced from my gmail account and work exchange account, which had duplicate versions of the same contacts. Turned those off and the photos are back.

2 replies

Contact Photos in Messages Not Showing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.