Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple mobile device support wasn't installed om your computer

OS: Windows 10 Pro: Build 16232.rs_prerelease.170624-1334

iTunes: 12.6.1.25 (64 bit)

So, for the last few days I have run through various install/re-install permutations in my attempt to install iTunes, but to no avail.

I have followed instructions to unpack AppleMobileDeviceSupport6464.msi and set it to, under compatibility mode, 'Run this program in compatibility mode:' > Previous version of Windows, and then run the application. But it keep generating the error message, as shown in the attached image.

What am I overlooking here, and how do I resolve this issue?User uploaded file

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 10.3.2, Windows 10 Pro

Posted on Jul 16, 2017 1:13 PM

9 replies

Jul 17, 2017 5:21 AM in response to theo187

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Right-click on the setup file and run the installer as administrator. It may also help to pre-install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable. In some cases you may also need to temporarily disable any anti-virus software.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Jul 17, 2017 6:42 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi,

Many thanks for the information you supplied, which I followed as directed.

Unfortunately, when the install process reaches the point where it installs 'mobile device support', the install 'rolls back' the install at that point, and proceeds to install iTunes minus 'mobile device support'. Attempting to unpack the install and manually install 'mobile device support' does not rectify the situation, and the error as shown in the image results.

What should I do now?

Jul 17, 2017 7:48 AM in response to theo187

Is this computer on a corporate network where it could be subject to any group policies that might act as a malware defense? On my network for example executable files cannot be run from the temp folders, which is the kind of trick that some legitimate installers also use. Did you install the C++ component? Did you try explicitly running the main installer as the administrator? Have you tried running the Microsoft Fixit tool yet?

tt2

Apple mobile device support wasn't installed om your computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.