Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I see the images sent to my via text message?

Why can't I see images sent to me via text messages on my iPhone 5? Instead of seeing the picture, I see a box with a ? followed by IMG_1111.JPG. If I click on the image a bar with emojis pops up. I can forward the text with the picture either. My only option is to delete it.

I have tried resetting the network settings.

iPhone 5, iOS 10.3.2

Posted on Jul 17, 2017 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2017 3:56 PM

becky_s22,

thanksfor your feedback. Unfortunately, the MMS Messaging was enabled.

I could see the pictures when I had an iPhone4. A co-worker took pity on me and gave me her old iPhone 5. Ever since I started using the newerphone, I can not see the images.

3 replies

Jul 18, 2017 4:09 PM in response to lisahag

Since you are seeing an emoji when you click on it, as indicated in your original post, I wonder if this is because you do not have an emoji keyboard installed. If you go to Settings>General>Keyboard, is the emoji keyboard listed?

Is this message coming from someone with an iPhone, or an Android device? If an Android device, not all of them will successfully translate to the iOS device. That may explain it.

Jul 18, 2017 3:51 PM in response to lisahag

Hello lisahag,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

I see that you can't see images sent to you via text messages on your iPhone 5. You only see a box with a question mark followed by the image name. It's important to make sure that you can see the images that are sent to you via text, so I'll be happy to help assist you with this.

I suggest making sure that MMS Messaging is enabled on your iPhone. This will allow you to view images via text messages. Tap Settings > Messages > Toggle on MMS Messaging.
About iMessage and SMS/MMS

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards.

Why can't I see the images sent to my via text message?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.