Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Sierra App switcher, how do I get the app icons to display across the screen like in El Capitan so that I can tab to my desired app?

I just upgraded from El Capitan to latest Sierra. I use App Switcher frequently. Hold Command and then tab through the apps to the desired app. Sierra no longer displays the open apps in a list. Is there a setting for this? Command Tab only takes me to my previous app, which is fine if I remember what the previous app was, but usually not. I use App Switcher frequently with Cut&Paste.

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Jul 17, 2017 10:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2017 6:48 AM

The Application Switcher goes way, way back. At least to Tiger, if not before. Unfortunately Apple only makes mention of it by name, while not explaining it in any detail whatsoever. For example, read "Quickly switch between apps" in OS X El Capitan: Window basics.

There are no settings for it, but it is conceivable that another Mission Control related setting, or perhaps an Accessibility keyboard setting is preventing it from appearing. Look into those possible causes.

Please determine if the same problems occur in "Safe Mode": Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2017 6:48 AM in response to bschoof

The Application Switcher goes way, way back. At least to Tiger, if not before. Unfortunately Apple only makes mention of it by name, while not explaining it in any detail whatsoever. For example, read "Quickly switch between apps" in OS X El Capitan: Window basics.

There are no settings for it, but it is conceivable that another Mission Control related setting, or perhaps an Accessibility keyboard setting is preventing it from appearing. Look into those possible causes.

Please determine if the same problems occur in "Safe Mode": Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support.

Jul 18, 2017 3:33 PM in response to bschoof

I do, but it also works normally and always had since it was introduced many years ago. I suggest you might try the following in order until the problem is fixed:

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Reset your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM.
  3. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support.
  4. Boot into Safe Mode then reboot normally. Test in both states.
  5. Create a new admin user account. Log into the new account. Does it work then?
  6. Reinstall Sierra or El Capitan Without Erasing Drive:

Please be sure you back up.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid icon in the toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Using Sierra App switcher, how do I get the app icons to display across the screen like in El Capitan so that I can tab to my desired app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.