Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photos "Quick Access"

Hi,

Does anyone know a way to stop iCloud Photos automatically adding and re-adding itself to the Windows File Explorer "Quick Access" area? Having a program just assume it needs to be there is kind of arrogant. It's like having a website assume it needs to be in your favourites - except I use Quick Access every day, and it has a finite amount of space, so this is worse.

I suspect there isn't a way, so I'm partly posting this to hopefully get the ball rolling and so that any others who search for it (as I did), might land here. Unfortunately most Google searches including "remove" and "quick access" give numerous lists to inane websites providing instruction on "how to tame the Windows 10 quick access bar". Maybe this wood will be visible amongst the trees.

David

null-OTHER, Windows 10

Posted on Jul 18, 2017 5:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2017 11:57 PM

I managed to fix this issue by tweaking the registry.

First, I followed the instructions here to remove the even more annoying item that is created in the "Devices and drives" list.

Next, to actually remove the icon from "Quick access" in the Navigation pane:

1. Open explorer and unpin "iCloud Photos" from the "Quick access" by right clicking on it and choosing "Unpin from Quick access".

2. Open the Registry Editor: press "Windows-Key + R", type "regedit" and then "OK".

3. Press "Ctrl + F" and type the string "{F0D63F85-37EC-4097-B30D-61B4A8917118}" (it suffices to only check the "Keys" option). Click on "Find Next".

4. Once found, right click the registry key and choose "Rename". Change the name to "{F0D63F85-37EC-4097-B30D-61B4A8917119}". (I chose to rename it instead of deleting it, since I am no expert and did not want to risk it. Perhaps someone else will try deleting and see if it works.)

5. Press "F3" to find the next ocurrence of the string, and repeat step 3. Sometimes the editor will complain and say it cannot rename it, in which case ignore it as it will later change automatically. Repeat this until you reach the end of the registry.

6. Close the registry. (Optionally re-open the registry editor and search again - there should be no ocurrences of the key "{F0D63F85-37EC-4097-B30D-61B4A8917118}").

7. Open "iCloud". I had custom photos directories for "Downloads", "Uploads" and "Shared", but the registry change for some reason resetted these values to the default. If this is your case simply click "Options" next to "Photos" and make sure to change the directories to your custom preferences. These will be saved from then on.

That's it. When you restart, or open "iCloud" it should no longer create the annoying and arrogant "Quick access" pin in the Navigation pane.

Hope this helps some people.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2017 11:57 PM in response to alband

I managed to fix this issue by tweaking the registry.

First, I followed the instructions here to remove the even more annoying item that is created in the "Devices and drives" list.

Next, to actually remove the icon from "Quick access" in the Navigation pane:

1. Open explorer and unpin "iCloud Photos" from the "Quick access" by right clicking on it and choosing "Unpin from Quick access".

2. Open the Registry Editor: press "Windows-Key + R", type "regedit" and then "OK".

3. Press "Ctrl + F" and type the string "{F0D63F85-37EC-4097-B30D-61B4A8917118}" (it suffices to only check the "Keys" option). Click on "Find Next".

4. Once found, right click the registry key and choose "Rename". Change the name to "{F0D63F85-37EC-4097-B30D-61B4A8917119}". (I chose to rename it instead of deleting it, since I am no expert and did not want to risk it. Perhaps someone else will try deleting and see if it works.)

5. Press "F3" to find the next ocurrence of the string, and repeat step 3. Sometimes the editor will complain and say it cannot rename it, in which case ignore it as it will later change automatically. Repeat this until you reach the end of the registry.

6. Close the registry. (Optionally re-open the registry editor and search again - there should be no ocurrences of the key "{F0D63F85-37EC-4097-B30D-61B4A8917118}").

7. Open "iCloud". I had custom photos directories for "Downloads", "Uploads" and "Shared", but the registry change for some reason resetted these values to the default. If this is your case simply click "Options" next to "Photos" and make sure to change the directories to your custom preferences. These will be saved from then on.

That's it. When you restart, or open "iCloud" it should no longer create the annoying and arrogant "Quick access" pin in the Navigation pane.

Hope this helps some people.

iCloud Photos "Quick Access"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.